how can i start to add feel to my strumming

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
09/27/2009 10:54 am
ok i am wanting to play some dylan and the like but i am stuck in this looking at books and it says down up down down up phaze

I want to be able to strum and not stick to the above

I am finding I am sticking to strait 8ths or 16ths and cant seem to get the feel that other guitarists have naturally
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/27/2009 1:01 pm
Honestly, skip the books and play along. Playing inflection, I think, can never come from looking at a book. They can help understand stuff but strumming through a song and hearing what you play against what the original artist is playing helps you learn that finesse. Remember that you listen to music with your ears so you should learn to play that way to.
# 2
gmixstudios
gmixstudios
09/27/2009 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Honestly, skip the books and play along. Playing inflection, I think, can never come from looking at a book. They can help understand stuff but strumming through a song and hearing what you play against what the original artist is playing helps you learn that finesse. Remember that you listen to music with your ears so you should learn to play that way to.

cheers to that :o
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2009 6:34 pm
The key to strumming is to make sure your right hand is moving almost constantly. I tell my students a lot of the time that your right hand is your drum pattern, and if you watch any acoustic guitar player they are moving their right hand most of the time. That does not mean that they are hitting the guitar necessarily all the time, but that fluid motion allows for the strumming to come more naturally. Like Jeff mentioned, really listen to the strumming and don't depend on books to aid you through this. You truly have to feel the strumming and allow your body to feel the rhythm you are playing and listening too. That is the best advice I can give.
Douglas Showalter
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/02/2009 10:10 pm
Another thing to try is to strum dead strings. It can be as simple as keeping your 8th or 16th note timing, but on the upbeat deaden the notes on the chord (keep your fingers over the frets and on the strings, but not pressing down on the frets to make a tone). This will help you learn a different sound other than simple strumming constantly. It'll also help you with your sense of rhythm.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.