depressed

Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
12/13/2001 6:44 am
two days ago i saw Dani Sanderson (i bet you all dont know him but he is one of the best israeli guitarists and singers, in my opinion anyway) on stage.
man, he was awesome...
the lightness he handled the guitar...
and, oh, that tappings and bendings...
and how the hell did he manage to play those solos while jumpin' around like that?
and worse, he was playing a Fender Squier just like the one i've got

to cut the long story short he made me fill like clumsy Big Zic trying to hold banjo. which is understandable since he was in the climax of his career some ten year before i was even born

ever since then i cant suffer hearing myself playing

how the hell did he make such pure sound?

and how the hell am i going to get out of this mood?
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
12/13/2001 7:41 am
Practise...
It's never easy when someone absolutely blows you away, but don't look at it as if you're incapable. Instead, set it as a goal. Just because you can't play like that now, doesn't mean you won't be if you want to bad enough.
You don't think people are born with that ability? It's something we all have to work for - admitedly, some harder than others, but if was that easy, we wouldn't enjoy it or appreciate it as much, would we?
Remember - "That which doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger."
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2

12/13/2001 2:50 pm
I think everyone gets hit with this feeling at one point or another in their guitar playing lives, usually the first time they see someone who totally blows them away and learns that they've started when they were 8 and played 6 hours a day or something crazy like that. I know I was depressed when I had to face the reality that I wasn't going to be getting into major bands when I was 17 and releasing records like Steve Vai. I had to say to myself, "look, you can't help the fact that you started playing 10 years after Steve. All you can do is try your hardest to progess". So I stopped trying to be Steve Vai and started trying to find my own, unique sound (which is what I'm still doing!). Try and find your niche
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/13/2001 5:31 pm
If you like the guy that much why don't you try to track him down and take some lessons from him? Find out what he did to get where he's at today, maybe he can offer you some words of encouragement.
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/15/2001 4:53 am
I saw Primus and Bill "The Buddha of Bass" D ickens in the same weekend. Now with The Buddha, we're talkinga bout a bassist who can run from the top note of a Conklin seven string bass (he's also been known to play a nine string) to the bottom and back again in steady 64th notes. He taught Wooten for a while.

I couldn't look at my basses for about three days. After that though, I kinda started messing around with some of the things I saw, and worked back into it.

Eventually you just have to pick up your guitar and do your own thing. You'll never go wrong that way, and you'll be a lot more satisfied than if you were to try and sound like somebody else, or just play on their level.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
12/23/2001 2:20 am
Hey, I know how you feel. We all can easily feel discouraged when we have trouble emulating someone elses's sound. But after years of practicing, when I hear someone play something that I can't do, I just feel inspired to try even harder. When you cross to a block in the road, do your best to work around it, try to discover the many other possibilities first, and you'll inevitably make your way home.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 6
SoS
SoS
12/23/2001 2:33 am
Yes same with me i get inspired when i see something fantastic.
I have lessons with one of the local teachers in my city and after a while i started to feel bored and it was getting old. When suddenly he brought his son in to one of my lessons and he plugged up his genuine fender strat and played a joe satriani song to a drum machine and his dad on bass, i think it was called flying high, blue sky or sumpthin it had all these weird harmonics on the 12th 9th and 5th frets and i was blown away just to see this kid play it and he was like only one year older than me.....from then on every lessons i jammed with him and we improvised and stuff.........i took him as insperation
:D
{SOS}
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/10/2002 2:43 am
I get inspired when i see somebody release something on a CD that makes sense to me. like complete sense. There is a Big Wu CD i like, called "Folktales", and anyways, on that cd they have a bunch of stuff in the major scale, and it was cool because thats one of my favs. thats my inspiration
# 8
nechako
nechako
01/18/2002 8:02 pm
Zen archery taught me it takes one honest arrow to hit a target, one honest arrow from your own bow.
# 9

01/19/2002 2:31 am

I always mess up when I try to play something exactly like a famous guitarist plays it. I realised that it wasn't natural for me to try to play like him. I decided to play his licks my way, even if they don't sound has good. I try to put a little of my style into each of them. Maybe I'm just lying to myself but it works for me. It's hard to explain...

Now when I play a lick from Satriani, it doesn't sound exactly like Satriani, it sounds a little like me.

And try to relax!!! I know I get frustrated and mess up even more.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.