yngwie style question

seedo
seedo
04/15/2007 12:07 pm
hell:

am trying to learn yngwie style, i use guitar pro software, i c signs that say full or half with a curvy arrow, what thats mean.?

and yngwie is very fast player, can you give me advices and how i develop my speed?

thank u and sorry for the bad english
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2007 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: seedoi c signs that say full or half with a curvy arrow, what thats mean.?[/QUOTE]
The arrow means to bend the string up (vibrato) & thus raise the pitch. The "full" or "half" means to bend the string up far enough that you change the pitch so the note sounds higher by:

two frets (one whole step or "full" step)
OR
one fret (one half step or "half" step)
[QUOTE=seedo]
and yngwie is very fast player, can you give me advices and how i develop my speed?

There are a lot of great lessons on GuitarTricks on learning Yngwie's style:
http://www.guitartricks.com/inspiration.php?input=Yngwie Malmsteen

This one of mine focuses on building speed:
More Speedy Ideas - Building Speed

I wish you success with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
seedo
seedo
04/15/2007 8:43 pm
thank u man u rock :)
# 3
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
04/25/2007 6:23 am
If you want to learn Yngwie's style, study some harmonic minor scales, minor arppeggios in all positions and some diminished arppegios too.

I suggest trying out the A Harmonic minor scale, going up and down the scale repeatedly, starting off slow with a metronome at a comfortable pace gradually increasing the tempo until you can work up some more speed.

If you're only a beginer, try to work on 2 string runs repeatedly, and gradually increase by playing on 3 strings, then 4 strings etc.
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 4
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
04/28/2007 12:26 pm
Practice alternate picking a lot, slowly.
Practice legato a lot, slowly.

Then, practice alternating between alternate picking and legato as well--in the same line. Yngwie does that allllllllll the time. It's a huge part of his style. It's somewhat rare that guitarists actually blend legato and picking within the same fast run. Not unheard of, but not often done. ((at least not with conscious control! :P))

Then, study up on your scalar sequences. These are patterns set in a single scale that move diatonically up it--most of the time. For example, a classic Yngwie ascender in the Am scale is abcd...bcde...cdef...defg...efga. Notice how you are playing a 4 note pattern, but simply starting on different scale degrees everytime you do it. You could literally spend the rest of your life figuring out different scale sequences, but for Yngwie, stick to the classics--those are the ones he does. Learn them in phrygian, minor, and harmonic minor.

Vibrato--you have to work on your vibrato. Milk it like nothing else. Make it wiiiiide and slow. Make sure your intonation is perfect. Check yourself on a tuner to make sure. One of the most distinctive aspects of his style is that vibrato, underrated though it is. Listen to violin players as your guide for this--he did.

Arpeggios. Learn them up and down the fretboard. Just your classic maj/min/dim/aug. Sweep them, pick them, hammer them when you can.

All this should have you pretty much sounding like Yngwie pretty soon.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 5
wreckens
wreckens
04/28/2007 1:27 pm
what is legato?
and what u mean by learning those in phrygian?
# 6

04/29/2007 5:00 pm
Legato is when you play a sequence of hammer-ons, pull-offs or slides without picking each of them.

Legato tutorial

Phrygian is a mode or scale. So when you here someone say "play in phrygian", they mean to use the phrygian mode.

Phrygian Mode
# 7
Lee Carlson
Lee Carlson
05/04/2007 12:29 am
Start slow to get accurate, then build up speed, use a metronome. John Petrucci Rock Discipline DVD is great to.
www.leecarlsonmusic.com
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.