Lynerd Skynerd

Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/11/2007 8:47 pm
I bought the ' Live from Austin Texas ' DVD recorded in 1999 - most entertaining.
Three lead guitarists - hoping to learn some of their licks
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/11/2007 9:20 pm
They're still great now.

I was channel surfin the other day, and caught them playing on the end of Ellen. Damn, great show.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2007 9:22 pm
Wasn't that the band that all died in an air crash or something?
I vaguely remember an album that came out years ago, that had a picture of the band on the cover standing in flames. After the crash, they had to re-issue the album and take the flames out because it was considered in bad taste.
# 3
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/11/2007 9:59 pm
Just to let you know, this is the most commonly butchered spelling of a band in history. Its "Lynyrd Skynyrd". "Lynard Skynard" is the name of one of their albums. And "Lynerd Skynerd" is just plain wrong. :D

But, yeah Ronnie Van Zant was killed in a crash along with Cassie and Steve Gaines. Very sad. Won't ever be the same without Ronnie behind the mic.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/11/2007 10:03 pm
Yeah, I think three of them died in an air crash.
Def Leppard were unlucky too, the drummer lost an arm in a car crash and the Lead guitarist died of alcoholic poisoning - amazingly the drummer returned to the band using specially designed footpedals
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/11/2007 10:11 pm
Yes, spelt Lynyrd Skynyrd.
I didn't know for sure, but I thought the vocals sounded different
# 6
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
04/15/2007 12:36 pm
I recently picked up the 'Vicious Cycle' CD ( from 2003? ) and really like it. They still sound great. I think the singer now is Ronnie vZ's brother?
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/15/2007 1:33 pm
Lynyrd Skynyrd's legend is grounded in a plane crash that occurred on October 20, 1977, three days after the release of Street Survivors. A chartered Convair 240, N55VM, carrying the band between shows from Greenville, South Carolina to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana crashed near a forest in McComb, Mississippi. The crash killed singer/songwriter Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines, vocalist Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray. Other band members were injured, some very seriously. Drummer Artimus Pyle crawled out of the plane wreckage with several broken ribs, but was ambulatory, as were road crew members Kenneth Peden Jr. and Mark Frank. The three injured men hiked some distance from the crash site, through swampy woods, and finally flagged down farmer Johnny Mote, who had come to investigate. (Varying accounts have Mote either firing a warning shot into the air or actually shooting Pyle in the shoulder - no report is completely reliable. Pyle claimed in a February 2007 appearance on Howard Stern's Sirius radio program that Mote had shot him; Mote has always denied shooting the drummer. Video of a barechested Pyle at the 1979 Volunteer Jam does not show evidence of a gunshot wound) Medical personnel arrived and began to ferry out the injured and the dead. Allen Collins suffered two cracked vertebrae in his neck, and both Collins and Leon Wilkeson nearly had arms amputated as a result of crash injuries. Wilkeson suffered severe internal injuries, including a punctured lung, and had most of his teeth knocked out. Gary Rossington broke both his arms and both his legs in the crash, and took many months to recuperate.

on a side note--
Having grown their hair long, they were given school suspensions and endless grief by a high-school gym teacher named Leonard Skinner.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
04/15/2007 2:05 pm
I had their Gold and Platinum album. (yes album not cassette or cd). Got it for Christmas when I was in the 7th grade. I wore that sucker out. Lets see...I got that album and Bad Company and I think Foreigner. Anyway I wore the Gold and Platinum album out. Ahhh the memory's.... Time to go out and buy the Gold and Platinum CD because I am ashamed to say that I do not own any Skynyrd at the present time. :o
# 9
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/16/2007 12:12 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpLynyrd Skynyrd's legend is grounded in a plane crash that occurred on October 20, 1977, three days after the release of Street Survivors. A chartered Convair 240, N55VM, carrying the band between shows from Greenville, South Carolina to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana crashed near a forest in McComb, Mississippi. The crash killed singer/songwriter Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines, vocalist Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray. Other band members were injured, some very seriously. Drummer Artimus Pyle crawled out of the plane wreckage with several broken ribs, but was ambulatory, as were road crew members Kenneth Peden Jr. and Mark Frank. The three injured men hiked some distance from the crash site, through swampy woods, and finally flagged down farmer Johnny Mote, who had come to investigate. (Varying accounts have Mote either firing a warning shot into the air or actually shooting Pyle in the shoulder - no report is completely reliable. Pyle claimed in a February 2007 appearance on Howard Stern's Sirius radio program that Mote had shot him; Mote has always denied shooting the drummer. Video of a barechested Pyle at the 1979 Volunteer Jam does not show evidence of a gunshot wound) Medical personnel arrived and began to ferry out the injured and the dead. Allen Collins suffered two cracked vertebrae in his neck, and both Collins and Leon Wilkeson nearly had arms amputated as a result of crash injuries. Wilkeson suffered severe internal injuries, including a punctured lung, and had most of his teeth knocked out. Gary Rossington broke both his arms and both his legs in the crash, and took many months to recuperate.

on a side note--
Having grown their hair long, they were given school suspensions and endless grief by a high-school gym teacher named Leonard Skinner.

I do believe that covers it... haha

but yeah, skynyrd rocks!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 10
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
04/16/2007 12:59 am
I got to say they have and will be one of my all time favorite bands ...Long Live Southern Rock
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/16/2007 1:18 am
Ahem, time for the old man to weigh in here. I can actually remember when 'Free Bird' was released and played on the radio as a 'new' hit song. I'm telling you, that song (the live version) was being played every hour on the hour for an entire summer. Ah yes, the memories.

That was around the same time that Foghat 'Slow Ride' and Edgar Winters 'Frankenstein' were rocking too! Is it a wonder that we teenagers or the 70's were so twisted? :cool:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 12
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/18/2007 2:02 am
I'm seeing them next week. :D
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 13
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
04/18/2007 1:44 pm
If they are not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame They should be. :cool:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.