Rap (continued)

strummonster
strummonster
09/27/2001 12:31 am
Let me clear this up,
some of you guys got the wrong message about my rap post. I think rap is stupid, yes. But, bands like Rage, The Chili Peppers, P.O.D., and Limp Bizkit are very talented bands. The whole philosophy is this: If you can back your music up with true blue musical talent then i respect you. But if your just rhyming in front of computer drum beats, then you suck. I'm like Zepp_Rules. I can't figure out why electronic drum beats and fast talkers can be musicians.
Chris Ponce
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/27/2001 3:00 am
Look at it this way:
I'm all for Rap so long as it's creative: I'm not talking recycled beats, recycled lyrics, cliche scratching, etc, etc. I'm talking about people who think about their lyrics, spend a lot of time coming up with original beats, sampling interesting things and using them tastefully, and even creating their own samples. THEN taking it on the road and backing it all up live. Can every Rap act do that? No. Can every Rock act? No.

And to be honest, I was just as unimpressed with POD when I saw them live as I was with Tha Alkaholiks.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
09/27/2001 4:14 am
Although, we might tickle you for a while, :rolleyes:.

Rap music, it's been around for a very long time, and yes it has garnered a lot of respect, (especially from my side of the fence.) However, I would much rather listen to someone with a good strong voice, instead of someone speaking 20mph on the mike.( I think we all suffer through enough tedious conversations as the weeks progress.)

However, with rap music, for a lot of artists, there's a message behind their music, and it's not just jibberish. Basically, we all feel different, and sometimes we can all relate to subtle gestures here and there. However, (with my good eye, and ear for this matter) I've seen too many singers use rap as an excuse not to polish their voice. It's not easy to get up their and sing your heart out, (matching your vocals with the guitar player) and for a lot of people they would rather just take the easy way out.

I'm tired of that logic,:mad: and it has spread in the music industry as we speak. For some musicians, they are meant to rap, but for other's, it's a lame defensive reaction fo qualities that they don't possess.

I'll tell you, for years I hated rap, and everything that surrounded it. But it's not as bad as most people think, some of it is pretty interesting, and most importantly tollerable. However, if I may rely on my immediate reaction, bands like POD and Limp Bizkit, they really sound off kilter. I think they should be using their talents in a different fashion. However, that's my oipinion, which could change as the months go by, but I doubt it.

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 09-27-2001 at 12:16 AM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
09/27/2001 8:41 pm
Were guitarists. Its not in our nature to like rap. Were like chalk and cheese(hate that sayin).

I respect rappers as musicians but I hate their music. We just clash.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.