7-string guitars

strummonster
strummonster
09/18/2001 10:34 pm
Why on earth do most metal bands choose not to use the 7-string? They go and tune there 6-strings down a full step and a half step and one and a half steps! why not just use a seven string and save the trouble? you could even tune those down to get an even lower sound!
Chris Ponce
# 1
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
09/19/2001 1:27 am
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. Usually when people tune their guitars down a whole step they'll play in the same positions they did before. Ex.- Somone who plays in G Maj/E min all the time will tune down a whole step and end up playing in F Maj/D min without even realizing it. And as far as playing on a seven string... if you like the sound that you're getting by tuning down a whole step you might not like the sound that you get out of the low A which would be the case if you tuned a seven string down a whole step. Also, there is only so far you can go, as far as tuning down goes, before you start to cross frequencies with your bassist. Which, as you know, will create the "muddy" effect that people run into when tuning down.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/19/2001 1:27 pm
what I'd like to say about this whole 7-string phenomenon is that these crappy bands like slipknot, limp triscuit, and korn don't even know how to play a 6-string properly, why do they go and complicate things for themselves by adding another string?

I think that these crappy guitarists should first master 6-strings, then go and start adding more strings.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2001 5:50 pm
The seven string has developed quite a diverse reputation for istelf since it appeared in the rock spotlight around 1990 with the advent of Vai's signture Universe model, that multi-color swirl one (although the seven string guitar has actually been around for decades in jazz and other styles). Someone eventually came up with the idea of using the guitar in metal (it had to happen sooner or later). Now there are a lot of bands that have followed that trend and I agree that quite a few of them are just copying what was once originality in some form and mindlessly playing that low 7th string until they drive themselves and us to boredom. But I give a lot of credit to Korn more than any other '7-string band' because they do a lot of really interesting things with the guitars. As guitarists ourselves, we seemed to have created this notion of how a guitar is supposed to be played - either based on speed, tricks, licks, runs, 'difficulty', etc. That is a bunch of bull****. Musical instruments don't come with a manual that tell you how it is supposed to be played. There really are no rules or standards. Now what I really hate are people that don't give any thought to their own personal style and just follow the crowd. There is a lot of that right now in mainstream metal/rap or whatever you call it. That's what makes me sick. It happens in a lot of areas in music, not just 7-string bands. It will pass eventually like all things and a new trend will take its place.

Bottom line: be true to yourself. Take advice and have influences but DO NOT COPY. It will never fulfill you.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 4
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/20/2001 5:34 pm
I agree w/the strummonster. I have been playing 7-string guitar for 1 year, and one of the big advantages is that you don't have too deal with drop D tunings, or tuning down a half step, everything is right there. I think it is really an amazing instument whose capabillities have not been explord yet.
I have been playing for 20yrs. & the 7-str, gtr. really made me excited to sit down & practice again. I highly recco. it.
# 5
guitargod420
guitargod420
09/20/2001 11:54 pm
ok i can tell why most metal bands dont use 7 strings thats because there is no need to. a lot of dudes play a 7 string guitar thats tuned to an open chord and they have just enough strength in the first finger to chord it and thats boring but if thats what u feel thats what u feel . and now for the main point alot people have 7 strings but only play 3 strings why not just play a 3 string guitar ? scott ian of anthrax plays a 4 string guitar so he tells it like it is. so thats why many bands dont play 7 string guitars there is no need to they sound the same as a 6 string dropped and for the one dude who said something about slipknot well they dont use 7 string guitars

ok dudes peace
# 6
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
09/21/2001 9:35 am
7 string for metal band guitarist? Hekekeke... well, why dont the BANJO have 7 string too? The naturality is the key to this answer... it depends on individuality... assume Steve Vai play for Metallica or maybe Limbizkit, or maybe Ozzy Osbourne. U can see that, it depends to the guitarist, whether he can play with 7 strings and say u tell a metal band to play with 7 strings now, it shall take times for them to adapt to 7 strings although theres not much big difference in the theory with 6 strings. Well, the exact answer to this is, because... the guitarist does not know how to play with 7 string guitar and vice versa. Dont expect all good guitarist are born to play 7 string guitar. Even the best guitarist are born to play 6 string at the first place. 7 string is UNIQUE. Imagine all band.... not just metal band.... all the guitarist can play 7 string.... now this is a situation where Steve Vai does not want to see... but of course he is the one who invent the guitar and produce this 7 string theory. What about the others who can play 7 string? Hehehehe.... u might not want to hear all guitarist can play 7 string...not just u... thats why 7 string is unique and let the Unique minded people learn how to play 7 string guitar and see how unique the may be.....
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 7
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/21/2001 5:22 pm
Why has nobody mentioned Dream theater, he uses the 7 str quite well

By the way, Steve Vai did not invent the 7 str., he merely popularized it. Jazz and classical guitarists where using them way before that.
# 8
Irocx88
Irocx88
03/05/2006 7:56 pm
I have an Esp Ltd 7 String guitar and it is freaking awesome, the wicked body style with lightning bolt inlays with midnight purple paint, and EMG-HZ pickups. I found a way to tune my guitar with the the low string tuned to Drop G. So it plays kinda like a 6 string guitar tuned to drop D, but way lower, and you still have the regular power chords of the 6 higher strings which is nice. It sounds evil as hell. Anyways the strings are all tuned at G D G C F A D, this tuning is extremely low and chunky sounding. But its just the way I prefer it. If you want a heavy tone this is one way to do it. I have a free floating bridge and i had to adjust it so the strings didn't buzz, takes some time but its worth it, enjoy. :D
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/06/2006 2:40 pm
I prefer a Baritone myself...dunno why, but the other guitarist in my band plays a 7string...but we are not a nu-metal band, infact, we are a dance/dicso rock band...very electronic and so much fun...we call it ninjadisco.

Dunno why tho...I dont like tuning down at all...I find that standard E tuning gives you the most diversity of what you can play...besides...if you're dropping your tuning so much, why have a bass player? thats the bass's frequency range...and too much dropped tuning just sounds muddy
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 10
pure
pure
03/07/2006 7:55 pm
i think what the topid starter meant was, insteaad of wasting their time drop tuning, hy not get a seven string so you can have both tunes?

the topic starter meant that they can have the last 6 strings on normal tuning and tuning the 7th lowest string to d.

but what the topic starter didnt know (im guessing) is that when drop tuning, you lower the tunings of all the strings and so, even if adding a 7th string, the guitarist will still have to change tunings when changing from E to drop D and vice versa.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.