Do you think in ' Words ' ?

Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/07/2006 11:29 pm
I think In WORDS.
For instance i think " I must go to the shop ", OR " I must throw out the garbage ".
The question is: before we had any ' words ', How did we think ?.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/08/2006 12:07 am
The brain's activity is simply reaction to stimuli from the outside world, and the first "thought" or action of the brain is not translated into language, but, instead, manifested in reaction. To be hungry, someone doesn't have to think "I am hungry," he will simply be hungry. To respond to that hunger by finding food, be it at a store or off a bush, the mind will look to memory to seek a solution. When memory tells the mind, "ah, usually when you're hungry you check the fridge," it doesn't communicate in verbal language, it merely conjures the specific memories accounting for this assessment. We may choose to think in the language we speak, but those words are merely signifiers for objects and concepts. Their use is to communicate ideas to others, not to ourselves. Most people do finalize thought in word within their minds, but the words themselves are really only necessary to let others understand what and why we are thinking.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/08/2006 1:11 am
thankyou, i've been relaxing for twenty minutes in a quiet room just listening and not thinking ( without words ).....................peacefull.
# 3
pure
pure
09/08/2006 2:22 am
Jolly, i don't think anybody could have said it better than you did. Thats exactly what i was thinking.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/08/2006 5:30 am
This reminds me of a story I once read somewhere:

When Arthur returned to civilization after being raised by Merlin in seclusion, people asked what spells he was taught by the wizard.
He replied, "Spells? I don't know, but he did teach me words. When I was little he told me to eat, then he told me to sleep, and later on to walk. I've been eating, sleeping and walking ever since, so those must be potent spells indeed."
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/08/2006 2:08 pm
Dude... that's deep...

I've actually often thought about this aswell. I came to the conclusion that your mind doesn't actually "see" an object or action as a word, but automatically associates the object or action with a word, simply because that is what you have learned what it is. Similar to how Jolly explained it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
markc2005
markc2005
09/08/2006 2:29 pm
interesting i always thought that things llike this are linked with the way we comunicate, so i guess if somebodies primary method of communication was sign language the maybe they dont think words in there head but see the signs instead.

When i was little i used to think everone in the world spoke english in their head
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 7
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/08/2006 2:36 pm
Mostly, people think in terms of sensory information--primarily pictures.
# 8
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/08/2006 7:31 pm
I've got a theory- thinking in words aids one's memory. By memory I don't just mean like "what did I come into this room for?" but I also mean that our minds use words as value-holding variables with which to construct complex thoughts and arguments so that we do not have to hold every detail of every element of our thoughts in instinctive memory. Because of this I also believe that having a large vocabulary increases one's intelligence and the potential complexity and logical soundness of one's thoughts and reasoning.

Edit: Perhaps a more clear way of explaining this is that one's vocabulary is like information stored on a hard drive and one's instinctive thoughts are like ram. Ram is much faster, but it is volatile (short-term) and has much less storage space for its cost.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 9
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/08/2006 7:41 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaDude... that's deep...

I've actually often thought about this aswell. I came to the conclusion that your mind doesn't actually "see" an object or action as a word, but automatically associates the object or action with a word, simply because that is what you have learned what it is. Similar to how Jolly explained it.

classical conditioning in action...what we see is what we are taught to see..so maaaaaaayybe...what we see or perceive...isn't exactly what we see OR percieve.....oooooooo...

*cue x-files theme

mulder: where's me gimpsuit??!!
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 10
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/08/2006 10:49 pm
Words are indeed powerful. A few syllables can instantly conjure up knowledge and associations...like simply saying the word "high school" will generally bring up one's own experiences of that era of their life. And taking this in a different direction, it's similarly applied to the other senses as well. Here in Galveston the salty gulf can be smelled on the breeze. This stinks to alot of people, but I've had a great many memories whether they're on the beach, out fishing, or whatever, and thus when I get a whiff of that fishy 'stink', I can't help but like it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 11
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/09/2006 12:08 am
Ya Rustee I dig that. I disgust myself though, a smell or song that i remember from a certain period of my life can easily make me so nostaligic i literally get sick to my stomach.

As for the thinking in words...mine gets kinda screwed from time to time. I regularly screw up a scentence half way through and start again. Ex. I'll tell someone, 'I bought my new guitar at Gilbert Guitars'. But...my head just says 'tell him about the new thing you have'.

So...It'll come out something like 'I bought guzaa.....' blah. I start again and try to laugh it off. It's been happening more and more lately. :confused:
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 12
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/09/2006 12:38 am
I've got a Pink Floyd tuition Cd, it has seven of their best tracks, but without words.
By listening to these instrumentals I have a greater respect for how creative, talented and dedicated Pink Floyd Are .
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/09/2006 1:03 am
I don't expect anybody to get very far in dealing with abstract concepts without thinking in words. This is why good language skills are very important. I think that the language a person uses to communicate to others with will also shape their thinking processes in terms of basic precepts and also how thoughts are organised in order to make them understandable.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/09/2006 1:22 am
We don't need no education.................
It's not true is it.
# 15
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/09/2006 1:42 am
Originally Posted by: GramboI think In WORDS.
For instance i think " I must go to the shop ", OR " I must throw out the garbage ".
The question is: before we had any ' words ', How did we think ?.

what have you been smoking and where can i get some?

/just sayin
//this isn't really "normal" conversation.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 16
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/09/2006 2:09 am
Ha Ha, don't need to smoke, I just leave out a couple of downers -prescribed.
# 17
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/09/2006 2:16 am
We don't need no medication......
# 18
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/09/2006 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypuswhat have you been smoking and where can i get some?

/just sayin
//this isn't really "normal" conversation.

Normal conversation sucks.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 19
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/09/2006 2:42 am
Thanks for all the repiles - got me ' finkin '.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.