View post (5th year guitar playing anniversary)

View thread

tomcas929
Blues, Blues-Rock Fanatic
tomcas929
Blues, Blues-Rock Fanatic
09/18/2005 11:51 pm
Sound is a big subject...of which I don't claim to know it all. But this I do know. Our ears hear differently at different volumes. Aside from all the technical bits about EJ's setup there is one factor you cannot reproduce from a pod patch and that is the nuances and interaction you get from a LOUD amplifier. It can be recreated to a surpising degree...but it can never be the same. I know that is not an option for many, but it is the truth. And this is coming from a person who lives and practices in an apartment....so I feel the pain of that reality. There are answers though. I belong to a club at a studio that has a program for "solo" guitar players. When available, they rent their empty rooms for 6 bucks an hour to people who want to practice just that sort of LOUD playing....at least that's what I use it for. Experimenting with volume for 6 dollars is a hell of a lot cheaper than fines your locals will hit you with trying to do it in your apt. Ask around your local studios if they might do such a program. You'll get to use their quality gear too...you just provide the effects to get exactly what you're looking for.