Getting Your Favorite Artist's Sound

fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/31/2005 10:52 am
I know there's TONS of sites that tell what type of gear a certain musician uses (say Randy Rhoads, for instance). But is there any site that tells exactly HOW they set them up? Using the previous example, I know Randy used a chorus and a flanger and a few other things, but what where his chorus settings? His amp settings? I know these guys tweak their amps and such and getting an exact copy of that sound is near impossible, but it would be nice to be in the ballpark.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
08/01/2005 1:55 am
I don't beleive there is any fast way to get a desired tone. Tone settings come from lots and lots of experience. Playing with different guitars, amps, pedals, volumes. Everything affects everything. You would probably find a sweeter tone going by your instincts. Just try everything. Even stuff you don't want to try, try, and with an open mind.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/01/2005 1:04 pm
Just remember this, you could play through Randy's exact set up, but you're still going to sound like you, and vise versa. A lot of your tone comes from your hands... how you hold your pick, how you pick the strings, how you mute the strings, etc...

One more thing, it's almost pointless to try to copy a tone you hear on a studio recorded album. There is so much studio "magic" going on, that it's almost impossible to get those tones. Grant it, you can get close, but probably not as close as you'd like.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
08/01/2005 2:07 pm
check out www.guitargeek.com I know that you want specfic settings... but this will get you as close as possible. I have yet to find a site that gives actual settings... This site is great for everything else though.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.