View post (death = legend status)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/24/2005 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: fingertricksAnyone can learn to play the guitar all they want but either you got a good voice or you don’t.

To that I say balderdash. Firstly, that sentance doesn't make much sense considering the art of singing is achieved very differently from the art of guitar. So comparing the two is like comparing milking a cow to a chicken laying eggs. Secondly, I do get the point you're getting at and that is false in its own right. A guy with a good singing voice can only go so far with just a good singing voice let alone when standing next to a guy with a great singing voice because he practiced and dedicated himself to making himself better than the rest. And to say a guitarist is nothing without a good singer is a big stab at instrumental artists like Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Batio and plenty of other bands that have excluded vocals on a lot of their work (not necessarily all of their work). Could Cobaine write a good instrumental song? Probably not and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with writing songs intended for vocals. Just food for thought. And regarding his good voice, it was actually just good for the music he wrote. His voice lacked dynamics and he wouldn't have succeeded doing anything else because of this. That and his voice cracked a lot. But that's also fine. It worked and it worked well with what he wrote. So here's to him.

Regarding the rest, yes Cobaine was famous before he died (be it suicide or murder or any other rumor anyone throws out) but he and his music were so well known that all it would take was one bad CD to turn all the critics and fans against him and push him to the back as a has been so he can later compete against Vanilla Ice on Celebrity Boxing. Now instead he died in his prime and all that's left is his name, his fame and the music that brought it about. And since he's dead there's no way he'll ever make a bad song or anything. And to say that he'd keep writing good music (considering he practiced playing how much?) is a big statement. Look at Metallica. Cliff died and the name kept going and now they're just some sissy rock group now. In their prime they were about as fast and heavy as it got and I guarantee if they called it quits post-Cliff people wouldn't believe that they couldn't write a bad song because of what they left just before they stopped. The same applies to Hendrix, Zeppelin and plenty other groups. Granted my examples are pretty extreme, but if Jimi or Bonam didn't die, who knows where either group would've gone. It probably would've been good, but you never know. Now all that's left is the lingering essence of his name, his fame and the music that brought it all about. That being said, Cobaine, as well as plenty of others, was a good composer and I do respect him for writing music that did make such an impact. But even a good composer can write a bad song. And I guess that's where I'll leave that one.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.