Poll: I'd like EVERYBODY to respond to this if possible

Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/09/2001 3:12 am

You guys are never gunna believe this, but Mr. Malmsteen himself is coming through my humble little town on April 21.

I suppose I should go see what he's got.
# 1
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
04/16/2001 8:33 pm
I have Yngwie's video, that first one, and I watch it and it's really cool and he's a funny dude too, and for about ten minutes afterward i feel the need to play as fast as him. Then, i do, then i feel better.

As for putting his sort of technique to good use, that's difficult. (You should see how terrible the Blues section of his video is). He inspires me to keep up my chops, definitely, but that's about it.

Atomic
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/16/2001 9:26 pm
Yngwie plays the blues. Now that would be a sight to see.
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/16/2001 9:55 pm
Originally posted by jake sommers
i think yngwie is all that and a fish sandwich, but i don't think i'd like to play like him, if i could i would only use it like every now and then just to show people i can play like that. But i'd rather sound like clapton or vai, not actually mimicing them, but if i could steal someone's talent and put in a ball and use it at my own dicresion it would be those to guys.

I sortof agree with you in that yngwie is a graet guitarist but hasnt got as much soul behind his play as Clapton for example but I dont agree with your views about Vai. I think Vai is a smashing player aswell but Id lump him in the same basket as malmsteen perhaps along with a couple of them fish sandwiches you like so much. I could listen to both all day but I could listen to Claptn for the rest of my life if you know what I mean. Yeah Clapton is God.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
04/17/2001 1:21 am
For anyone who thinks Vai has no "soul" behind his playing: have you ever listened to "Tender Surrender", "For The Love Of God", "The Boy From Seattle", or "Windows To The Soul"? Just wondering because I hear a lot of people say that Vai doesn't play with emotion. Come on now people. Just because Vai came out of the '80s doesn't mean he doesn't play with just as much, if not more, emotion than everyone's favorite blues players'. For an example of what I'm talking about just check out the "Martian Love Secrets" part of his website. http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/mls.html . I really shouldn't have to post this but I'm sick of all the Clapton fanatics talking about "soul" like you can't have it if you don't play the blues. In fact, "soul" should be different for each person. One person playing soulfully could sound "bluesy" while another man's could be something totally off the wall (ie.- Bofatron) :). Just remember to keep your minds open people. After all, this is music we're talking about.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 5
The Ferret
The Ferret
04/19/2001 12:51 pm
I've never even heard ANYTHING by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Don't laugh. :( I feel bad enough as it is. ;)
# 6
Tornado
Tornado
04/19/2001 8:21 pm
VAI did it for me!!!!!!!! :D
******* ~Tornado~
# 7
Tornado
Tornado
04/19/2001 8:27 pm
ditto on badhorsie, vai has TONS of emotion. Tender surrender, touching tounges, sisters, for the love of god, the wall of light, mellisa's garden, call it sleep, hand on heart,call it sleep, boston rain melody, Christmas time is hear (althought he didn't write it but he played it with alot of emotion!!) I could go on for days.

[Edited by Tornado on 04-19-2001 at 05:58 PM]
******* ~Tornado~
# 8
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/19/2001 9:20 pm
Yo that's kinda mean man.
"Take my hand boss"
# 9
Tornado
Tornado
04/19/2001 9:59 pm
sorry i just kinda got worked up with all the clapton fanatics.
******* ~Tornado~
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
04/20/2001 2:44 am
A lot of people feel discouraged by Yngwies music, and with a defensive re-action they turn away in disbelief. But when I listen to his stuff, I feel inspired to try a little bit harder at the end of the week, (in finding my sweet spot.) What definitely inspires me is the fact that this guy has stayed true to his killer instincts all of these years despite what others deem acceptable. This guy should be an inspiration to many musicians around the world, showing its more important to make history with with your music instead of selling out record stores. That its important to get in touch with your inner feelings as to what inspires you to pick up the instrument every day. There are so many musicians who fold and cater to whats considered to be cool, but Yngwies pushing all of the buttons, and gets a kick out of it...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11
Starwood81
Starwood81
04/20/2001 7:41 pm
Yngwie was good back in the day ...but I think Joe Stump now takes it to a new level than Yngwie...people say that Stump is a Ynwie clone but there some stuff Joe does on the "Rapid Fire Rondo" album that Yngwie can't do....unless he practices them for a while. I think Joe Stump takes it to the next level than Yngwie.
# 12
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/21/2001 1:09 am
Yngwie's most recent album "War to End all Wars." It is a different that his stuff, but it's pretty good. Have any of you heard it?
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 13
Starwood81
Starwood81
04/21/2001 1:44 am
Yes I have the song "crucify" is pretty good
# 14
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/23/2001 4:35 am

Concert was post-poned!!! So much for seeing Yngwie . . .
# 15
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
04/23/2001 10:18 pm
If Yngwie could sell out, I'm sure he would. After all, the guy was in Alcatraz. If you guys don't think that 90% of the 80s' metal bands weren't complete sellouts (or just really uninventive) you've obviously gone crazy.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 16
Joseph
Joseph
04/23/2001 10:34 pm
Originally posted by BadHorsie
If Yngwie could sell out, I'm sure he would. After all, the guy was in Alcatraz. If you guys don't think that 90% of the 80s' metal bands weren't complete sellouts (or just really uninventive) you've obviously gone crazy.

Well, its safe to ay that for every good musician, there are a million copy cats, but throughout the eighties there were really a lot of musicians who played with passion and orifginallity, despite the look that was emulated to no end. You know a lot of people spend too miuch time focusing on the look that was so very common in he eighties, that they refuse to ackowledge the fct that a lot of those musicians really did play their hearts out, slaving over their guitar solos until they rewached satisfaction. I cant remember the last time I heard a good guitar solo, at least one that required more than thre or four notes. I'm not saying that its the complexity that makes a song good, but its all about effort, and some people have got it nd others don't.

You know a lot of the times we look at a musician from a distance and we assume that they would just do anything for a buck, and I'll admit that there were a lot of bands throughout the eighties who were beginning to forget about what was important, because everything was becoming one big competition. But its really hard for anyone to assess the intentions of others, unless you're in their shoes. Ive been following Yngwies career for a long time, and I respect his work ethic, once he found the type of music that he was comfortable with he did everything he could to let his potential shine. As musicians, we are all given the chance to conform to whatever is deemed acceptable at the moment, and for a lot of us our integrity can be bought for a price, but when you really love the type of music that you're making, once you create your own rules, its really hard to breake them...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 17
howie50
howie50
04/25/2001 10:02 pm
I don't know what Bofatron means by run to the woodshed (I'm British) but I get his drift (I think), Ynwie's records just make me want to run anywhere out of range of the CD player they're on. He should be made to stay in Sweden, maybe that's why the Swedish suicide rate is amongst the highest in the world. Too many notes Yngwie!!!!
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 18
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/26/2001 6:31 am
Ummm...."Run to the woodshed" is actually more of a British saying than anywhere else really...It means get off to work. In a guitarists' case in means sitting down with your guitar and practising like crazy...Not get as far away as possible...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 19
donnie_k
donnie_k
04/27/2001 12:26 am
Answer to question, no. But I am impressed with his skill and technique. I don't aspire to be like anyone in particular, but to be proficient in my own style and to try new things.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.