Poll: I'd like EVERYBODY to respond to this if possible

gnugod
gnugod
04/28/2001 9:42 pm
nope again but he is a true master of his style,the guy who really melted my brain an sent me running was joe satriani. but really to play an develope my own style an reflect my influences in my play style.

gary
gary
# 1
MarlonB
MarlonB
05/01/2001 9:31 am
Originally posted by Bofatron
Yes or no, did Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing/records/ whatever inspire you to run back to the woodshed?

No!! Why should it? That's his style of playing and it ain't my type. So I don't really get discouraged by his skill. I prefer EVH, SRV, and Steve Vai.
# 2
Steal Duck
Steal Duck
05/09/2001 10:56 am
I would like to have Yngwies tecknique cause if I had, I would sound much better than he does!
# 3
gnugod
gnugod
05/09/2001 9:09 pm
so much for your own technical mastery just jump right on throught to ego
gary
# 4
fingers
fingers
05/14/2001 5:56 pm
I been playing longer than he's been alive. No I didn't runn for the woodshed. There's always gonna be better players, differnt styles, and its not really gonna matter one way or another. You just gotta do what you want. If I worried about all the players better than me, I'd never lay down another lick. Making music shouldn't ever be some sort of comptetition. Do your thing and be content.
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/15/2001 1:16 am
I know what you mean though Steal Duck. Don't you hate it when you see someone with amazing technical skill, who has no creativity whatsoever? There have been a couple of times I have seen someone and thought "If only I was that skilled, I would put much greater use to it", it's pretty silly I guess, and I don't feel like that aobut Ywngie, but I still think it sometimes.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
05/16/2001 12:46 am
Youshouldn;t take anything away from Yngwie, hes an amazing musician who relys on his instincts and the love for music. There aren't many musicians today who can wholeheartedly claim that the overall sounds is their primary motivation, surpassing financial benfits.:eek: Everytime I listen a Yngwie Malmsteen (compositional rock song,) the sounds take me back to certain moments in my lifetime, and (whenever you successfully complete a Yngwie song on guitar, the overall feeling is amazing, (where you feel you can almost do anything..)

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
raymond james
raymond james
05/18/2001 3:42 pm
When I first heard Yngwie play back in the early 80's I was awstruck. I had never heard anything like it. His speed was really border line neck breaking. I spend a lot of time learning how to do that setting the frets to fire, then spent even more time undoing it. You see when I first got into Yngwie I already played pretty well, I was one of the two top guitar players in school. I had a cool bluesy thing going on, at least until I tried to be someone I wasn't. I played with the speed when I needed it until I started to cope Yngwie then couldn't slow down, everthing I did was done at these crazy speeds, it got boring real fast. I spent the next year undoing the shredder in me to get back the magic I had, and still to this day when I get nerveous I have to be careful because I tend to play faster. So heed the warning on the wood shed door "Be careful what you carry in it may follow you out."
# 8
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/22/2001 9:33 pm
One Malmsteen is already enough, but his instrumentals are great,have you heard his the Concerto Suite for electric guitar? not many guitarists can compose music like that
if he would only composed just instrumentals...

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 9
johnny5
johnny5
05/23/2001 5:38 am
damn there are alot of posts just about this won bad ass guy haha!
jon
# 10
johnny5
johnny5
05/23/2001 5:41 am
he's music is f**king awesome and **** but he is one of my so called idols or whatever it would'nt really hurt you know just to play some of he's songs but he's a great guitar player :)
jon
# 11
PlayLikeDavid
PlayLikeDavid
05/23/2001 6:03 pm
Originally posted by BadHorsie
Whoops! Almost forgot about the original question at hand. No, I don't really like Yngwie all that much. Personally I'd much rather listen to a violin if he's going to use the guitar like one.

[Edited by BadHorsie on 03-30-2001 at 11:33 PM]

I was just wondering where you got your user name BadHorsie. Is it that you especially like the Bad Horsie wah pedal or are you actually Steve Vai? :confused:

I have listened to Yngwie over the years and have admired his technique and unique style. However, like you, I do not aspire to be like him or any other guitarist. I aspire to be like myself. That keeps me real.;)
Let's have a knock down drag out rock'n'roll party in the street!
Chuck
# 12
space ace
space ace
05/25/2001 12:03 am
Yes Yngwie is an amazing guitarist between him and Satch those are probably the two most incredible technical guitarists. But there is not enough soul behind their playing, Clapton or Beck now there's two real guitarists.
Lane Hunter
# 13
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
05/25/2001 3:26 am
Enough with this "only blues players play with soul" stuff. And to answer PlayLikeDavid's question: actually, I just like the song.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 14
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/25/2001 3:39 am
I hate to say it, but I hadn't heard of this guy until a couple months ago. I don't even see how that is possible, he is an amazing guitarist.

I had decided right when I started playing guitar that I wanted to do fast and heavy pieces. Then I heard Yngwie, and it really inspired me and gave me more respect for classical music. Now my goal is to create excellent musical pieces that have more than just speed and heavy distortion.
MYK
# 15
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
05/25/2001 12:12 pm
Originally posted by BadHorsie
Enough with this "only blues players play with soul" stuff.

i must disagree with you on this one.. altough i think steve vai is a great player, his only song i've ever heard that had really good feeling is for the love of god, and in other songs altough he's doinf great things it really doesnt played with soul like a blues solo... i mean really fast players can't play with the true blues feel, because they mostly just run up and down on a freat board, while blues people like jimmy page are not so speedy, and sometimes even sloppy but they doing all the bends and vibratos stuff, that i dont hear in vai, malmsteen and other fast players music.. for example i once heard a concert of malmsteen, from leningrad and he was doing a blues solo on one of the tracks, and it was speedy and cool, but it was soul-less, he was just putting hundreds of notes in a short solo, and then none of the notes has any meaning,and its not blues anymore....

i know that all i wrote is probably long and meaningless, but it's a fact - non blues based players, and especialy shredders dont play with soul
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 16
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
05/25/2001 3:53 pm
So let me get this right Zeppelin: Playing the blues consists of bends and vibrato? Playing with soul means bending and using vibrato? So in order to play with soul, you have to play the blues? Now, to me, that seems a little one sided. Just because you bend a note means that your playing with soul? If you think that the only "soulful" song of Vai's is "For The Love Of God" you haven't listened to much. One of the reasons why I listen to Vai is because of his soulfulness. I've seen the guy play before and if he doesn't really play with soul than he deserves an Oscar for his performance. One more time, just to make it perfectly clear: In order to play with soul, you have to bend notes?!?!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 17
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
05/25/2001 4:48 pm
no, being soulful doesnt mean only using bends and vibratos, but it's part of it... speedy players dont use those much, and that's why you can hear only meaningless notes all the time... it reminds me of the piano, actually, where you can't do all the stuff you can do with a guitar.. it's hard to me to explain myself but in guitar playig there's a term called feel, which is something that certain people have and others dont.. i can't tell you exactly what it is, but part of it is how you playing.. and i think that when you mostly concentrate on speed you loose big part of it, for example in the stairway solo, there is a part made of thriads or whatever it called, it's played on the 15,13 frest on the B string and the 14 fret on the G string, and when page plays it he's doing it with a bend of the 15 fret, and this is a part with a great feel, but if someone like vai would be doing that solo, probably the bend was left out, and instead we would get a faster playing, but the triad was loosing its meaning...

it's really hard to explain exactly what i mean by bends, and vibratos, but i trully believe that blues based guitar is the only soulfull guitar playing.. yet it's only my opinion
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 18
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/25/2001 5:26 pm
I agree with Zep's point that shredders don't come over soulful (they may play with it, but it's difficult to get it when there's three-hundread notes in a solo, huh?) but I've don't think blues players are the only soulful players. There're are a lot of rockers who's solo epp with as much meaningful notes as King, Clapton, Page. Brian May instantly comes to mind, Satriani has his moments, although often few and far between. Then of course you've got people like Knofler, Johnson. And what about all those jazz guitarists, country, folk. I've heard many solo guitar pieces that've moved me.
Blues players are not the sole (no pun intend) owners of soulful player. Sure, it's mostly their domain, but it's not owned by them.
Anyone agree?....
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 19
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
05/25/2001 5:55 pm
yeah i agree with you, especialy when talking about brian may, who can't be called soul-less for sure. but it's their domain as you said, and when comparing to shredders they are surley the owners of the soul playing
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.