what's your favorite thing to cook?

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/01/2004 3:06 pm
I've noticed over some time that we have a few cooks among us. So, I was curious if anybody had a favorite recipie or cooking technique they would like to share. This can be anything from putting together a sandwich to a drawn out complicated method of making the perfect spaghetti sauce, to how you prefer to grill a steak.

I will start off and share 2 of my recipies. I love to cook on a grill and my grill has a smoke pit, so I do alot of smoking meats.

1) Drunk Chicken
1 whole chicken
1 can of your favorite beer
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 of a small onion
1/4 cup of choped celary
1/4 cup of choped bell pepper
Seasoning mix (salt, paprika, cumin, sugar, black pepper, cyan pepper, can't remember the rest off hand, but you get the idea)

Preparation: make sure the chicken is good and clean, cut drink about 1/3 of the beer and then cut out the top, but leave the thicker lip for strength. now put the garlic, onion, celary, and bell pepper in with the beer. generously rub the chicken with the seasoning mix and place the chicken on top of the beer, so it's sitting up right with the beer can in it's butt.

Cooking: the prefered way is to use charcoal in a smoke pit and have the grill at around 250*F. put some hickory chips that have soaked in water over night on and around the hot coals. put the chicken on the grill and slow cook for about 4 hours +/- . If you don't have a smoke pit, put the coals only on one side of the grill and cook the chicken on the other side and rotate the chicken every once in a while for even doneness. cooking time will also be shorter, between 2-3 hours depending on what temperature you can keep the coals at consistantly. remember low and slow is best.

2) Smoked Boston Butt
1 4-6lb. boston butt
injectable marinade (worchestershire sauce, lemon juice, dales steake seasoning, apple cider vinigar, often varies, but mix to taste)
1 beer
seasoning mix (listed above)

Preparation: mix the marinade to taste in a metal bowl, use an injector needle to inject the marinade into the meat. rub the seasoning mix all over the meat untill it is generously covered. wrap the meat with heavy duty aluminum foil, but don't seal off yet. now, pour about half the beer around the meat and seal off the foil wrap, but don't make the wrap too tight.

Cooking: place wraped meat on the grill at about 250*F for smoking. cook in the foil for about 1-2 hours. now, put the soaked hickory chips around the coals and take the meat out of the foil. total cooking times will vary, but usually about 6-8 hours of slow cooking.

Those are 2 of my specialties. I do want to add a note to them....I never cook the same thing the exact same way twice. the marinade's and seasonings are alway's being adjusted, but what I listed should give you a good idea of what I'm going for.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/01/2004 3:17 pm
Don't people usually use wine, not beer? Mmm...BEER CHICKEN! I'm just screwin with ya, sounds friggin awesome! My favorite things to cook are, sadly, Macaroni and cheese and peanut butter and jelly.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2004 4:09 pm
Coq au vin (oh yes) with rice

or

roast beef with Yorkshire puddings, veg, gravy, spuds, hot yellow mustard, horseradish the full monty !

It is our 2nd anniversary today so Im on cooking duty and beef is on the menu !

Yahoo !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/01/2004 4:20 pm
That sounds awsome Doc. I love me some roast beef / pot roast. what's the Coq au vin?

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/01/2004 4:26 pm
got another one, especially for anyone who is a deer hunter or just likes venison.

Deer Bar-B-Que

take a couple of pounds of venison hind-quarter, put it in a crock pot, cover with water add lemon juice, salt, pepper, worchestershire sause, and red wine vinigar. Let it cook for about 7-8 hours. empty the crock pot and shred the venison, put the venison back into the crock pot and cover with bar-b-que sauce and let it get hot again and then serve.

This is great because it's soooo easy and the leftovers can be frozen for later.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2004 4:32 pm
chicken cooked in wine

fry some bacon and onion and garlic, place in a big old metal pan with a lid. coat some chicken pieces in flour lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and gently fry them. before they have finished cooking place them in the pre-warmed metal pan with the bacon and onions and garlic. cover with half a cup of brandy and ignite. after a minuet or so add half a bottle of red wine and cook it in the oven for an hour. Then add mushrooms and some bouquet-garnie (sp ?) (celery, thyme and bay-leaves in a little sack) and cook for another hour.

Fantastic !
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/01/2004 4:37 pm
That really sounds amazing. Talking about all this food is making me hungry, but I still have an hour before my lunch break :(

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/02/2004 12:50 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonCoq au vin (oh yes) with rice[/QUOTE]

That sounds dirty. Can we have a review of the GT rules, please, schmange? Or is it shamange? (j/k)

[QUOTE=Dr_simon]roast beef with Yorkshire puddings

One thing the Brits got right-- roast beef, gravy & Yorkshire pudding.... mmmm... I love Yorkshire pudding with gravy... mmmmmmmm
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 1:18 am
Have you looked up what Schmange means ?
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/02/2004 3:35 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonHave you looked up what Schmange means ?[/QUOTE]

No, but I will now!

I always thought it had to do with the Schmenge Brothers on SCTV.

OK, found it:

[quote=Dictionary.com]

No entry found for schmange.

Did you mean [u]chimango[/u]?

chimango

\Chi*man"go\ [Native name] (Zo["o]l.) A south American carrion buzzard (Milvago chimango). See Caracara.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
pikengren
pikengren
10/02/2004 3:48 am
jerk pork or jerk chicken.

1/2 jar of "walker's wood" jerk seasoning
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
3 cups sweer and sour sauce ( duck sauce is almost the same, cheaper, and comes in a bigger jar)
crushed scotch bonnet pepper sauce ( if you want it extra spicy)

mix all ingredients in a bowl (except meat) :)
get a good size pan, and make sure the meat is as fresh as you can get, because you will marinade for THREE DAYS. not two, i couldn't wait and tried after two once, and it really wasn't the same. third day makes the difference.
for pork, bake in the marinade until it is starting to fall apart.

for chicken, half bake, take it out of the oven, and finish cooking on a smoker (the way it should be done)
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 1:55 pm
I suggest you ask Schmanges more responsible alter ego Kevin Taylor !
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2004 6:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI suggest you ask Schmanges more responsible alter ego Kevin Taylor !

Isn't he wanted for three or four counts of beastiality?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 6:40 pm
No Jolly... that's you mate.... I saw you on "American Farmers Most Wanted" last nigh !!

Anyway, this thread is about cooking animals !!
# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
10/04/2004 4:13 am
this is weird...

# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/04/2004 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonNo Jolly... that's you mate.... I saw you on "American Farmers Most Wanted" last nigh !!

Anyway, this thread is about cooking animals !!

I have a real zinger, but I think I'd get banned...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2004 11:22 am
PM it too me baby !
# 17
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/04/2004 3:03 pm
Got another one that's real simple.

Grilled Bar-B-Que Chicken Quesadilla's:

2-4 Boneless Chicken Breast
Tequilla
Fresh lime
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Flour Tortilla's
Grated Cheese (sharp cheddar, mozzarella, colby, munster) whatever kind you like
Paprika

Mix together all ingreedients and marinate chicken for a few hours. Cook over hot coals until done. Now cut the chicken up into bite size pieces and cover with your favorite bar-b-que sauce. now place a portion of the chicken on a tortilla and cover with cheese, cover with another tortilla and sprinkle with a little more cheese and some paprika. bake in the oven untill the tortilla is crispy on the edges and the cheese is melted, then enjoy.
You can also add whatever else you want to this, ie.. onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, no bar-b-que sauce, use your imagination.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.