Fender US Strat Ultra

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/23/2004 4:20 pm
Anybody know anything about this guitar? What little information I can find about it, seems like it was a very well made and versatile guitar. Reason I'm asking is because a guy wants to trade his strat ultra for my marshall 1960A cab. I haven't seen the guitar yet, so I'm not sure about it. He said the only thing he's done to it was changed out the lace sensor pickups for some emg active pickups and locked or blocked off the bridge so the tremolo doesn't move (which is just right for me since I don't like tremolo's). What do ya'll think about this trade....even deal? I've been looking for the right strat for a long time, and maybe, hopefully, possibly, with any luck, this might be it......I'll keep my fingers crossed until I get to play on it Sunday though. Let me know if any of you have any experience with one of these guitars...
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/23/2004 5:59 pm
Sad Truth: Something you're selling is only worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it.

Small Justice: This rule also applies when you are the buyer.

IIRC, the axe you're looking at is a mid-80's special issue that had a rotary PU/phase selector, with the two remaining knobs doing Master Tone and Master Volume duties. The headstock face is the same colour as the body (usually metalic red), and the decal says "The Strat" instead of Stratocaster.

My personal opinion of EMG active pickups is that they suck out the soul of a guitar, and replace the sound with a generic EMG 'tone'. No worries - you easily can sell them off to someone who likes them, and buy something more to your taste. The original Lace Sensors were very thin-sounding, and they would have been much harder to get rid of.

I am a firm believer in trying a guitar before you buy it, although I have bought 4 guitars on eBay. You get the opportunity to check it out on Sunday. This is good.

If you like the guitar, you're back to the above rules: Sad Truth & Small Justice. Ideally, you will both be happy with what you find, and you can work out a mutually satisfying deal. A straight swap is probably a realistic outcome. If he's coming to your place, then he's already absorbing the shipping costs (and hassle). If you're going to his place, you're entitled to some compensation for dragging that cab around.

furthermore: Money was invented because an inherent problem with barter trading is working out differences in value. For instance, how do you 'make change' for a guy who wants to trade six chickens for your cow? The main thing to remember is that an ideal business transaction is one where all parties come away feeling that they are better off. If you're happier with a 'new' guitar in hand than you were with an extra speaker cab taking up space in your life, do the deal. Don't worry about whether you might have made an extra buck or two.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/26/2004 12:34 pm
Well, I played the strat this weekend, but was very unimpressed. I also couldn't find anywhere on it that said "Ultra", but it did have the right nut and tuners for an ultra. The emg's were so thin and tiny sounding it was pitiful. So, needless to say, no deal. I don't think I can part with my cab now anyway. I plugged my classic 50 into it for fun, and WOW :eek: . Those two paired up are awsome! I have no need for the triple XXX anymore. Anybody looking for an awsome metal type head with a great clean let me know ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/26/2004 1:00 pm
I have several strats, mainly because of the sound of the PUs (love the fender single coil twang).

After playing PRS, playing Fender is a real labour of love !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.