View post (Notes vs Chords for level 0 beginner)

View thread

mulham.haffar
Full Access
mulham.haffar
Full Access
01/05/2024 5:48 am
#3 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Since you are an absolute beginner I recommend starting at Guitar Fundamental 1.  

There are 2 reasons most guitar curriculums starts with chords.  First, the guitar is quite often an accompaniment instrument, which means playing chords to support the vocals, or structure of a song.  Second, the wider motions of playing chords is a usually a little easier to start with as opposed to the very small, precise motions required to play single note melodies (for example, lead guitar lines).

If you follow the GF 1 course, you will eventually get to the lessons involving scales & melodies.  You could, if desired, simply skip or watch through the material until you get to what you are interested in.  But you will probably miss quite a bit of learning context along the way.  And the conceptually content of lead guitar is built on, relies on, knowledge of chords, key signatures, harmonies, etc.  

For what it's worth, I understand your excitement about & interest in lead guitar.  It's very dramatic & fun stuff!  But it's only one aspect of what you can do with a guitar to play music.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the detailed response.

That's exactly what I was after when I posted here, as I don't really know what's best.

Appreciate your advice. I will stick to the GF-1 and will take it from there aftre.

Thanks,

Mel