View post (Starting at 77)

View thread

mark1
Full Access
mark1
Full Access
11/04/2023 8:21 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

I don't mean to sidestep you, Mark, but I'm with Bill on this one. Anything that I could say about Anders' logic and teaching style would be pure speculation, so it would be best to ask him directly in the "Ask Anders Mouridsen" forum. What I can say is that having started out my music career playing woodwinds in an orchestra, I distinctly remember experiencing some of your same thoughts and frustrations when I started here. Yet, now I'm a TAB junkie who uses the standard notation for timing and tempo only, and happily so.

Anders clearly skips around the musical landscape in the process of eventually covering everything. If you don't think that such an approach will work for you then you do have an alternative. Before Anders joined Guitar Tricks as an instructor, the Guitar Fundamentals course was taught by another instructor, Christopher Schlegel, whose course is much more linear and constructed in the unwavering logical fashion that you seem to be looking for. Perhaps give Chris' course a shot and then come back and finish Anders' course afterwards.

Sascha

I understand your POV's regarding Anders and will definitely repost to Anders. Two reasons I posted those concerns here. I had a question the first time I tried a lesson. There was a Help button in the lower left. The result was an email from Danie saying that the button was for web related problems and that I should post my question here on the forum. Also, I didn't want to take up Anders' time with what I'm thinking are not great questions. But when I now look at what I typed, no question is sub par question.

I think I'll read a bunch of threads to get a better feel for the discussions.

I  will say that if not the hugest obstacle I'll have/am having old person memory is right up there-- like what happened 5 minutes ago. It's a double edged thing. On the one hand, really challenging the little grey cells (a la the famous Poirot) is a plus for the aging brain. On the other hand, the # of times it'll take to get something to stick is a whole nother thing.

Mark