View post (Spark Mini & recommendations for a good mini amp?)

View thread

fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
06/07/2023 1:25 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Speaking of key chains....

My Spark GO arrived Saturday and I gave it a try.  Since then, I've done one practice session with it, the second being delayed by this post.  😉

The sound is better than I expected, not as good as I hoped.  The key for me (and all of us) is to understand that this is a 5w, battery powered amp.  It is approximately 5" X 3" X 2" and contains therein a 2" speaker.  It weights 12 ounces.  It comes with four presets of sounds/modes and has what appears to be a very, very deep app of sounds and modes and capabilities.  And that's why I can't write a decent review.

Note my GT username.  I live in a rural area, about a half-hour east of Missoula.  While T Mobile serves the area it is the only company and not the one I use.  Furthermore, I don't use/carry a smartphone as I'm simply not into 'that'.  GT is as close to social media I get and my cell phone is strictly for phone calls (when in range of my provider)... maybe twice a year in town.  So, while I don't consider myself a Luddite, indeed surfing the 'net' for almost 30 years, I can't download the app (OS or Android) and I can't speak to the all the goodies and sounds it provides.  I knew that going in but, at the least the GO looked like a fun toy.

Of the four presets, three provide a sound that I would call heavy metal, distortion and/or overdrive.  While I appreciate music described as that I don't play it myself.  I like a clean sound when I'm doing electric.  The remaining GO preset does an OK job of doing that although I wish it were a little more 'mellow.'  But again, the physical specs... the GO does an admirable job for its size, but...

I benefitted from a pre-release sale and got the GO for a good discount.  I have no regrets about the purchase and recently My Lady has talked about paying for it herself as a gift to me.  Ya' can't beat that! 👍

I wish I could help those that are interested in the GO a little bit more but, in reality, I'm missing most of what the amp has to offer.  Later, I'll see if the app can be downloaded to my iPod.  I don't have high expectations.  The Positive Grid website is a good one and has lots of stuff about the GO.  There's more on the web so you guys should dive deep.

It's worth the money it cost me (or her 😋) but it won't get much use, unless...

It's small yet, at full volume, it fills the large room I practice in.  I use a Bluetooth remote to hookup and it's super-simple.  The GO sits on my desk and I don't have to get up to mess with my 'real' amplifier.  I'm thinking I might use the GO specifically for that part of my practice that is electric.  It could probably serve to play around a campfire or on the beach... if campfires weren't so frowned upon here in MT during the summer and if MT had a beach.  😂

john

if you can get the app downloaded either onto a tablet or smart phone it is well worth doing as it will give you access to so many more amps and effects which you can then save onto one of the presets for future quick use, the Dumble amp is one of my favourites to use, the Orange amps are are also very nice.

The tone cloud is also worth looking at although there's thousands of tones there so can be a bit overwhelming but once you have the app installed you don't need internet connection to use most of the features.

Another area where these amps really shine is when using them with headphones so if you haven't tried that yet i highly recommend giving it a go.