View post (Licensing question)

View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2023 12:43 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Does the inability to renew a license mean that the particular Artist or label would not renew anything for a given artist under said label? That was huge to loose all the Skynyrd songs, So i was wondering can they be replaced by others by Skynyrd?

Hi Steve - whoever owns the publishing of the song controls the licensing, although sometimes the artist can have a say depending on the specifics of the agreement. So in this case, it would be reasonable to assume that whatever entity owns the publishing of the writing members of Skynyrd would be in control of the licensing. So if that entity did not renew the licenses for the Skynyrd songs that were removed, it is unlikely they would be replaced by others.

Having said that, notice that "Call Me The Breeze" is still on the site. That song was written by JJ Cale, so the licensing is controlled by a different entity than the Skynyrd publisher.

Hope this makes sense - and please understand, this is my own read of the situation - I do not have any details regarding the deals between GT and outside publishers!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach