View post (Old Dog learning New Tricks - Hello from St Louis Missouri)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/03/2023 2:59 pm

You're never, ever too old to start. The equipement, just fine. More than enough to get you rolling and more than a couple miles down the road. Back in the old days when I started, most budget brands were terrible knock offs that played poorly. Now? A so-called budget guitar goes a long way.

Just a quick tip as an obersvation from many years seeing posts and such from this board; understand that guitar looks easy when you see it performed but not so easy when you try to learn. There will be some friction at the outset. So what. The tip is to understand that such friction applies to pretty much every guitar player nearly ever. 

The guitar is both a physical discipline and an educational one. They may not always meet (or in my case, the physical for many years got waaaayyyy ahead of the educational one). Your head wants to get ahead in many cases, mine excluded, but your hands aren't quite there. Know that this can be a source of frustration. I've used this example recently; if you throw right handed but had to learn to throw left handed, how long do you think it would take to become a lefty? A good while. Well, kinda the same with guitar, you're teaching yourself a physical skill and something it's not used to and doing so with both hands. Give yourself a break. Quoting some obscure movie song : 'Let it gooooo'  ;) 

Good luck and you'll get there.