View post (Old Dog learning New Tricks - Hello from St Louis Missouri)

View thread

Twaltemade
Twaltemade
02/02/2023 11:53 am

Good day!  I haven't seriously picked up a guitar to learn since my beginner lessons in the late 1970s, so Im really starting over.  I am concerned that I am too old to learn guitar in my mid 50s.  I don't read music, and I've struggled trying to teach myself music using iPad apps and books from Amazon a few years ago.  I just signed up for a year subscription here, so I'm excited to see how these video sessions work.  I plan to commit 30-45 minutes per day to practice (whatever my finger tips will tolerate)

I like rock, metal and blues, so I broke down and bought an entry level electric guitar (Michael Kelly Hybrid 60 Port on sale) and a Fender Champion 20 watt amp.  I don't know anything about equipment, so that may have been a stupid purchase.  I also hired a guitar coach for a few early sessions.  I figured that I would be more likely to stick to a "sound" that I like....plus maybe I can learn some relevant music.

This is all new to me, so I'll be surfing the forum trying to pick up tips and tricks.  I also need to build up some calluses on my fingers.

Look forward to learning from all of you.