View post (Hello from Perth, Western Australia)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/10/2023 7:20 pm

Welcome!  You're definitely on track.

My current axe is a Gretsch as well.  I was an acoustic guy and had intended to go for one of the 335s (Gibson or Epiphone) but saw this center block Gretsch  at my local store and fell in love.

Edit - sorry I forgot to throw in my 10 cents worth on your question.  A couple of suggestions:

1.  You might try changing the position of your wrist a bit:  moving it a little more under the neck.  That may allow more room for that particular finger to fret.

2. Since you're "C" to "Am" is working fine, try this exercise.  Begin with a strum on "C", then lift that finger off of the 5th string ever so slightly - just enough to let the string ring out cleanly.  Try to move nothing but that finger!  Strum the "Am", then drop the finger right back down where it came from and strum the "C".  I'd try using a metronome to time the chord change.  Set it to a low number such as "50" or even slower, but find a setting where you can play without fail - regardless of how slow.  That'll establish a base point and allow you to see your progress as your ability grows.

Good luck and hand in there.  It's definitely worth it.

Rumble Walrus

Best -

Rumble Walrus

edited