View post (chord changes hard)

View thread

innocci
innocci
03/24/2023 6:37 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

hey, so i can do chord changes really well in the context of songs i play and using a metronome, and some strumming patterns, other times i still really struggle for it to feel comfortable and mess up,  i feel like i just won't get this, i wish it was taught in the fundamentals as part of the program, not only doing fast down strums to learn chord transitions,  but within the context of different strumming patterns, i do not know if my hands will ever be in sync and i'll be able to do this, this is the first time i've felt completely stressed and concerned i won't ever get this, it doesn't help i broke my wrist in the spring and get pain at times, but besides that, at times i've felt on top of the world, i'm doing barre chord changes (again not yet within a strumming pattern yet, not ready) and i can play songs, landslide with travis fingerpicking, blackbirds, i can do hammerons nicely,  i see unbelievble progress in my journey so much, but with chord changes i'm just not there yet at all times, and forget trying a new strumming pattern, it's like my right hand forgets to land clean and right on the spot, it struggles, and i think wow, i began chord changes with the 3 notes in pay 2020, so 2.5 years in, and i think hmmm maybe it just won't click for me.  i can jump right on the spot clean even if i close my eyes, so it isn't my right hand not knowing where to go and cleanly,  i'm great, but if just sit and do certain strumming patterns, just certain ones, or a new technique involving percussiveness, i don't get there and really struggle especially in context of new strumming pattern, is this normal to still not be perfectly clean at this stage? 

You will eventually be able to do the transitions. In the early days I would practice transitioning without putting the strumming, or picking hand in to the mix, that way I only had to concentrsate on one aspect. Look for a common finger when transitioning, perhaps if your middle finger is on the G string, for instance, maybe the middle finger will be on the G string on the chord your transitioning to, in that case just slide that finger up or down to the desired note and you only have to rearrage your other fingers. Practice your challenging transitions in super slow motion, back and forth, this is the best way to develop muscle memory. When we are working on something that is more challenging for us, we are not as relaxed, which makes the motion more difficult, the more you practice the more relaxed you will become. One more thing that helps me, is anyhing that is challenging for me, becomes an exercise.

Don't give up, it's not a race, it's a journey.

edited