View post (Chords fingers placement)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2022 2:31 pm
Originally Posted by: nandre1276

I'm a beginner since two months and I still can't learn a song because I can't change chords fast enough.[/quote][p]You might benefit from just focusing on chord changes. Until you can do them effectively & efficiently you won't be able to play them in time & thus play a song.

Don't try to strum in time, don't try to play a song. Just focus on getting your chord changes solid. Do focused practice on chord changes. Take any 2 chords.

Form & play a C major. Strum it once to make sure it sounds good.

Form & play a G major chord. Strum it once to make sure it sounds good.

Repeat.

Incorporate all the other open chords into this routine as you are able. Just focus on getting the chord changes right until they are automated, as if they are second nature. If you try to mix in strumming, learning a song, and other things before you can do the basic physical motions of chord changes you are just going to get frustrated.

Be patient with yourself. :)[br][br]

Originally Posted by: nandre1276Gary Heimbauer explain to remember the shape of the fingers and place that shape on the strings all fingers at the same time.[/quote]

Yes, that's the ultimate goal & what you are aiming for.

[quote=nandre1276]When I watch videos of fundamentals 1 by Anders Mouridsen, he says to place fingers one by one and thats what I'm doing when I practice with a metronome.

That's much earlier in the learning process. You have to start by placing one finger at a time as a beginner. But as you practice & progress you want to eventually aim toward placing all your fingers together at the same time.

So, those instructors are referring to different levels of the learning process.

[quote=nandre1276]Am I doing it right or is this a bad habit that I should stop doing? I know that in the end my fingers will have to drop on the strings all at the same time but I'm just hoping it will come with practice isn't it?

Yes, it will come with practice! Keep going! It takes some students longer than others. But everyone has to go through the same process. You have to do repetitious practice until the motions become second nature & you can think "Play this chord" & your brain, hands & hours of practice take care of the details so you can focus on strumming in time or what they next chord is.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory