View post (Is Just Learning To Play Songs A Better Way To Go)

View thread

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
03/05/2022 12:20 am

If all you do is learn to play songs as performed by somebody else, then all you will ever be is someone who can imitate. There is far more to becoming a guitarist than just copying what others have already done.

I started out by just learning songs, and stunted my playing in far too many ways to list here. Almost 40 years later, I am still learning to become the guitarist I intend to become.

If I could go back to when I first started playing, then I would begin by mainly ignoring songs and concentrate instead on techniques, scales, triads, riffs, licks, etc, etc......

I really wish something like GF1 & 2, then move on to whatever genre courses had been around when I started. I wouldn't have wasted so much time thinking being able to play songs made me a guitarist (although it did enable me to busk, gig with others, and play in bands).

Obviously, the above is only my opinion, and others may disagree entirely, but I think anyone who asks a question deserves a variety of answers when there isn't actually a 'correct' one

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......