View post (First time 'electric' guitar learner - question)

View thread

karen_walker_33
karen_walker_33
01/07/2022 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Hi Karen

If you look around the recent posts there have already been a number of similar posts. [br]Either electric or acoustic can be used , so it's your preference as to where you wish to end up.

Electric with lighter strings is definitely easier on the fingers but that is a very short term view

Anders is an update on the fundamentals courses so GT obviously think that will be the way forward.

Cover similar ground in different ways. [br]Try some modules of each and see which or who suits you best.

How long is impossible to answer as I think many will have completed the fundamentals but have not mastered them to a level for an easy transition to the Experienced lesson paths.

Just take it that you will be a good way better than where you start from.

I do most of my playing sitting and off or towards my left leg than off the non classical right leg position. [br]Posture is covered in one of Lisa's GF1 but it's more in the way of not going rock star low as a beginner. [br]I found a couple of YouTube videos useful for that. Around classical and avoiding future back issues.

Sorry , don't have the links. [br]A strap is recommended in a couple of lessons in GT

Good luck going forward.

Many will say you will find what suits and there is no definite 100% right way

Dave

Thanks Dave.

To clarify, I was asking about guitar type 'used' in the Fundamentals course (either, both, or one more than the other). I've already chosen my guitar (electric) based on my interest in listening to blues.

Appreciate your experience in guitar positioning alternatives, for me it also feels more natural with placement towwards the centre. So going to explore that.

I understand the length of time is 'as long as it takes', my thinking was, if I can't tie my shoe laces after a year... maybe I should put my hand up and ask for help ;)