View post (Playing Back in Black)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/20/2021 3:26 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

I mostly play a Tele with 25.5 inch scale length, or a Gretsch G5420 with a 24.6 inch scale length. In all honesty, I've never noticed anything easier about playability other than bending the G string on the Gretsch is pretty difficult because I fitted a set with a wound third for tone reasons.

[/quote]

Pictures please :) ..I mean, if you want to. I do like me a Gretsch hollowbody and the Electromatics are really nice guitars.

[quote=snpfarm]

I thought that he was making a stretch from the 2nd to the 7th fret without ever lifting from the 2nd fret. I asked for a work around to that scenario because I couldn't make that stretch.

I've been playing BIB since nearly the time it came out. Almost. BIB preceded my first guitar by about a year and I didn't try learning it until '83. So, it's been noodled on more than a few times.

I never make the stretch. I have average sized hands but that's not really the point of how to play it. In my opinion anyway. Because it has the synchpated rhythmic ascending notes, holding and then releasing the strings helps with the definition between notes.

Funny enough, I've found it easier to play this run on chunkier necks as it seems to, for some reason that's only in my head, force me to only play and release each notes as I ascend. It forces me not to play it sloppily. My Strat has a really nice, quick neck and I just noodled it and it was too easy. I actually fumbled it a bit. Seriously. So I grabbed my Gresch which has a little more neck chunk and it went off smoothly. Though Malcom played Gretsch's so maybe this can only be played correctly on a Gretsch! ;)