View post (Playing Back in Black)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/11/2021 8:50 pm
Originally Posted by: snpfarm

I was reading another post regarding learning to play Back in Black (BiB). That made me think of a Back in Black question as well. I didn't want to hijack his thread by asking my question. Once upon a time I started learning BiB. I know that both Angus and Malcom Young are/were both 5'2" tall. They must have really long fingers to be able play some of there licks. I'm 5'8" with hands prortional to my stature. I can barely put my index finger on a fret, skip a fret, and get my pinky to the 2nd fret down from the one my index finger is on. Mush less skipping 5 or 6 fretts like in the intro to BiB. I'll try to make a tab below. I dont think they ever lift off the second fret of the 5th string while hitting the notes on the 6th string. If anyone knows a work around I'm all ears.

A -----2-------2-------2-------2--------

E ---------4-------5--------6-------7-----

[br]Several things come to mind for your consideration, some of which might help?[br][br] As you describe your currently achievable span and inferred previous experience "Once upon a time I started learning BiB", A. your hands must be even smaller than mine, and B. the other really more of a question re acquired flexibility with practice. How long have you been playing guitar consistently and challenging yourself to increase reach and flexibility. If that's less than a year or two, take comfort in knowing that your reach and flexibility will improve over time -within the constraints of individual anatomical limit. [br][br]For frame of comparative reference. I'm 5'9", non-ecto, and have hands and fingers disproportionate on the smallish/shortish side relative to height. Full disclosure, although I recognise its iconic status and like the tune, I haven't bothered learning "Back In Black" myself yet for the sake of just too many preferred alternatives I keep being triaging ahead of it. But yesterday's discussion and now yours has piqued my curiosity.[br][br]"Back in Black". Looking at Mike's tute for the riff and giving it a go prima facie, I can see your issue with the 7th fret E. I play a similar stretch with "Heartbreaker" coming to mind, from 2nd albeit to 6th on the A and D strings where holding the pointer down for rapid alternate picking (quasi-staccato ?) & pinky for vibrato is required, and play it interchangably on both short and long scale guitars. It just took repetitive practice to get it [u]comfortably[/u] instinctively nailed.

[br]With my span, trying the BIB riff just now on the first guitar I picked up, a Pacifica Strat, I can [u]just[/u] reach the 7th fret E from the 2nd [u]anchored[/u] on A, but j.u..s...t, and certainly not to the ideal fretting position adjacent to the actual 8th fret. [br][br]Angus plays it on a short scale guitar. So does Mike in the tute. Do you? It generally does make a difference to those of us with smaller hands and less anatomically flexible (spidery fingered wide webbed ecto) vs reliance upon only acquired flexibility through practice. I'll try it later today when I have time. Have an appointment to attend prior.

[br]Back to the GT tute. [u]Watching Mike, he's lifting his pointer off the A[/u] string after he frets the B with it in between alternating notes progressively along the neck up to the 7th.

[br]Even if using the GT tutorial as your primary source to learn to play "Back In Black", this is worth a watch. P.S. Edit for clarification. That's the tute, (shortened) demo play through illustrating how it sounds comparatively and how Andy frets it here. Although a BIB rhythm lesson, watch how Andy (Shutup & Play) -[u]who does have small hands[/u] but is nevertheless a first rate guitarist and AAA song tutor and so a source of perpetual inspiration to me of what can be achieved, teaches it and frets it moving his pointer. He also refers the alternative slide methodology/technique used by some players whilst making clear it's not played on the recording that way. He talks about stretching here, and offers a key tip in general directly applicable to this riff which upon reflection in thinking about it, I realised I do subconsiously now. Note that Andy also plays short scale using his ubiquitious drop dead gorgeous Les Paul. [br][br]GL with it. Glad you asked the question. Interesting, and I learned something which will definitely help when I come to learn it. [br][br][br][br] [br][br][br]