View post (Advice on how to memorize songs)

View thread

anjabrown7
anjabrown7
07/26/2021 7:07 am
Originally Posted by: gregmchir

First off I would like to thank guitar tricks ,I have gotten to the point where I can play at least a dozen songs . There is a slight problem though. I can only play the songs in performance mode where the tablature scrolls . The problem is not timing or chord changes but knowing where to go next To clarify right now I am playing acoustic songs that don't have a distinguishing riff but do recquire a singer beginner /easy ie Wild horses ,,Imagine ,Losing my religion ,Wide open spaces,Every rose has its thorn

I am at a standstill now because I want to learn new songs but I feel I should memorize what I know first . Do I learn each song section by section or do I play along with the scrolling tablature?. Do I memorize one at a time or two or three? I try to pick up cues from the singer and not look at the scrolling tablature but sometimes I play the wrong chords and then I lose the rhythm If I just played along to the track without visual cues I get lost . If these songs get removed then technically I wouldnt know any songs except for ones that have the same chord structure over and over

I rely on performance mode or jam mode because I cannot sing at all This enables me to play songs that I never would have considered I am handicapping myself because I can't play in front of anyone without the scrolling tablature .

Thank You

1.Sing through instrumental passages. If you're trying to memorize a piece for trumpet, violin, guitar, bass, or any instrument—even drums—try singing your part aloud. ...

[br]2.Practice at different tempos. Don't simply practice your piece at performance tempo. ...

[br]3.Transpose to another key.