View post (Advice on how to memorize songs)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2021 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: gregmchirThe problem is not timing or chord changes but knowing where to go next[/quote]

The solution is to keep repeating the songs until you have the overall song form memorized. This is a normal part of learning to play music. It's great to have the sheet music or the chord chart. But in the end they mostly serve as reminder cues. You have to have all the knowledge of the music & physical skills to play all the parts under your command in order to play the song anyway.

So, congrats on learning the songs! Keep playing them and listening to them in order to make the overall song form or structure completely second nature.

Originally Posted by: gregmchir

I am at a standstill now because I want to learn new songs but I feel I should memorize what I know first . Do I learn each song section by section or do I play along with the scrolling tablature?. Do I memorize one at a time or two or three?

[p]That depends on each student. Some people learn better doing one thing at a time & sticking with it until it's complete. Some can jump around more from section to section or song to song & it helps them stay interested & motivated.

[quote=gregmchir]I try to pick up cues from the singer and not look at the scrolling tablature but sometimes I play the wrong chords and then I lose the rhythm If I just played along to the track without visual cues I get lost

That happens to all of us! :) It's just part of the learning process. The only solution is to keep playing through the songs. That's not really bad news is it? Play more guitar!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory