View post (Learning Lead)

View thread

bryanwilson01
Full Access
bryanwilson01
Full Access
04/30/2021 12:48 pm

Hi Mike, I just finished watching your youtube video on 'Lead Guitar Building Blocks' Part 1 and have a different struggle than most or maybe not. The scales, patterns, hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, trills and such techniques are all great to know but my struggle is with timing. I have never played lead, have been a long time student trying to teach myself with no real progress until I took my first lesson with at teacher. He was hit with Covid and I am back to teaching myself. I am 60 and really want to be able to play solid rhythm and throw in some lead or fill occassionally. Here is my challenge,,,, [br] I am not sure how to learn/practice timing with lead and fills. How do you learn where to start or where to end? I find myself playing the same thing repeatedly and it doesn't go well with the song... I learned to play 'Sweet Home Chicago' in the key of E and struggle with sounding creative.....

Hope this makes sense, and to boil down the question, how do you work on timing to learn lead fills and runs?