View post (Santa's early ....left these today)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
12/25/2020 1:38 am
Originally Posted by: JohnGCRegarding the Dunlop Jazz picks, after trying many others these are my favourite. I do find I can handle the large ones easier but maybe that is because I am learning and have to overcome the picks keep twisting. I am getting there so may try the smaller ones soon.

My own journey John. Trying many gauges, materials, shapes and sizes over the past three years, I love Dunlop nylon picks, but [u]initially[/u] I found their Jazz IIIs difficult to use. You might not if you are focusing upon Shadows instrumental melody.

Over time, my technique and preference have evolved so that now the Jazz III is my electric go to and I even use it on my e-acoustic.

For strummy stuff on acoustic I'll frequently choose a .38 or .46 Dunlop nylon both full size footprint, particularly when I want chords to ring out with a bright jangly tone. e.g. Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds version). A celluloid .46 does well enough too, depending upon the tone one is looking for.

[br]I still use a variety of gauges and sizes. Dunlop .71 and .88 nylons are great all rounders on electric.