View post (Santa's early ....left these today)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/23/2020 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Footprint, shape, bevel and attack technique notwithstanding, it's difficult to put into words, but the density/texture of the material they're made of for wont of a better description seems to impart a distinctive 'Jazz III tonal signature'. I've certainly questioned plausibility of that perception and whether it's psychosomatic or real in seeking some qualitative evidentiary basis for it. But in the end just have to go with intuition from ear and finger 'analysis' repeatedly informing me it isn't.

[/quote]

Having played using Jazz picks even prior to red Jazz III's (I started on black Jazz II's), I'd say the effect is real. And having worked on going back, for strumming, to standard sized picks, I've surmised that the Jazz III's small size makes them easier to keep grip on and with the minimal tip exposure, allows the user more control. When I was 'shreddy' guy back when, these were the only pick I'd use. I was reasonably fast and clean. This pick helped a lot. So, I endorse the idea that there is something to the shape and size.

[quote=manXcat]

Nice. Headstock cradle one of those must haves for own setups, and +1 for a mini-pedal tuner. Korg kit. Always reliable. Footprint is one of those things I found with hands on experience facilitates individual pedal use off pedalboard too. Although my pedal tuner is larger footprint with internal battery capability, I have on some of these for mine when I want to use it independently off the pedalboard or a DC PSU. Convenient, I prefer to use them, otherwise I always forget to disconnect the input TS cable and end up with a flat 9v battery the next day.

Those DC adapters are cool. I mean, now, the only pedal I actually have is the tuner and it takes 2 2032 watch-style 'wafer' batteries. I'm pretty dillegent with not keeping pedals on/engaged to kill batteries. I picked that up early on. Even now it's automatic for me. Since I've gone largely amp sim with the Bias FX 2 or my with my little Ibanez Tube Screamer amp (which, for my more classic rock, old scholl tone is shockingly good), I've found less need for pedals. Even in the 80's, I literally had 3 pedals. A wah, a Boss Turbo Overdrive and a really beat up DOD flanger. When everyone else was rolling in their refrigerator of rack effects, I'd plop down my little setup and on average sounded better than the refrigerator if stuff. So, not shocking I'm not out hunting the new pedal like I see with so many YouTubers...

But I digress.....