View post (I Dream of Jeannie)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2020 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke [br]You may very well know this, but if not you may find it interesting. Roddenberry, without the knowledge or approval of composer Alexander Courage, wrote lyrics to that theme.[/quote]

Yes! I first watched the show in the earlier 70s in it's first syndicated re-broadcast. When I was a teenager I came across a book on the making of ST: TOS. This was back in the 80s & quite a find. I was surprised to read about the lyrics & the entire back story of the show.

Maybe more surprising at the time was learning that the show was originally considered a huge failure & struggled to even accomplish what it did in those 3 original years. And Roddenberry was turned down mulitple times & nearly failed to even get it produced in the first place! If not for the studio support of Lucille Ball it probably would never have been produced at all.

It's a pretty amazing story.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke [br]I don't believe that anyone has heard them as I don't believe they were ever recorded.

There are a few fan made versions on the web. FWIW, I can still remember thinking about the final lines, "Well, no. It won't go on forever. It's a 5 year mission." :)

[quote=dlwalke][br]Something else I found amusing was that there was some sort of contractual agreement with the musicians union ...

Yes, prior to the personal computer & internet the music business was a bit different. Since it was much more difficult to create & manipulate recorded audio there were multiple ways for producers, engineers & musicians to be employed & paid. Now many of those tasks are streamlined, combined or eliminated. And modern contracts often cover a wider field of use.

There are parallels in other business. For example, years ago you might see a room full of accountants working on mechnical calculators with pencil & paper! Nowdays all that is done by one person with a PC & a digital spreadsheet. :)[br][br]

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory