View post (I Dream of Jeannie)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
11/20/2020 10:44 pm

Thanks Chris. I'm very happy you shared with me the chords you came up with for I Dream of Jeannie. I was going to take a stab at tackling harmonizing the melody but I'm sure I would have struggled with it and there's no way I would have gotten the Adim7 or Gmin7b5.

Those old TV shows, from my early teens, are great fun for me to work on. It helps (i.e., in figuring them out) that the melody is so embedded in my mind's ear, and they're just fun. I've worked on a few others. The theme to the original Star Trek is a sentimental favorite. That was a few months ago but I think I found that one less straightforward in terms of key. I think it might have wandered a bit. I'll have to take a look back at that to see if it makes more sense to me in terms of what's happening, now that I've gotten a little more playing time and theory reading under my belt.

BTW - I noticed a mistake in my original post where I said that one section modulated to A minor but I meant to say it modulated to F minor (the parallel minor to the rest of the song). You called it A-flat and I wonder if you think it is incorrect to call it F minor (even though the notes would be the same). I think I called it F minor because that section starts out with a bunch of F notes (if I transcribed it correctly) in the melody line and takes on a sudden wistful quality that is at odds with the feel of the rest of the song that seemed very minor-esque to me.

OK, next stop: Get Smart!!