View post (I Dream of Jeannie)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2020 10:12 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

All kidding aside, I was trying to work out the theme to the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme music the last few days.[/quote]

I love that tune! I did a cover of it last year using my fretless guitar as the trombone line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a96ddI_UOkU

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeAll the notes fell within the key of F, except one distinct section had some out of key notes.[/quote]

Yes, the original is in F. But it's neat because the melody & progression actually starts on the V chord, C9. So, the main verse section is: C9 (V) > F6 (I).

[quote=dlwalke]Those notes however all fit within the key of G#, which at first I thought was a bit odd.

The bridge or B section is in A-flat major. And it starts on the ii chord.

Bb min (ii) > Eb7 (V) > Abmaj7 (I) > Adim7 (vii dim of ii)

Bb min (ii) > Eb7 (V) > Gmin7b5 (ii of V) / C9 (V)

At the Gmin7b5 it starts to head back to F.

[quote=dlwalke]Anyway, it was a fun little project and for me really drove home the idea of parallel minor scales and how they can be incorporated and used to great effect.

This song is a great example of classic songbook writing. A section with strong melody & basic chord progression. B section in unrelated key that winds back to the A section.

Fun stuff & great project. I love old TV theme songs. And this is one of my faves! Enjoy!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory