View post (When is it ok to move from a lesson)

View thread

deanbadam
Full Access
deanbadam
Full Access
05/04/2021 10:31 am

Hopefully there's not a hard and fast rule here else I'm doing it wrong :)

I have about 3-4 songs permanently open on my browser

1-2 songs that I feel I've 'learnt' - I can play these fairly comfortably with the odd stumble - so like Have you ever heard the rain for me atm has just replaced out Every Rose has its Thorn. I start a practice with one of these songs. It warms me up and gives a sense of yes I can do this. Sometimes just cause its fun I run through it again.

I have a song I'm making reasonable progress with and doesn't seem to hard and I have a song that feels a bit of a challenge and is taking a little longer; mostly needing time to master a particular chord change, finger picking section or lot to memorise.

I always try and have a run through on the challenging song to build the familiarity, but might spend more time on the progress song depending how much time I have or how the fingers are feeling.

I also usually have a have a technique or foundation lesson open - finger picking in blues atm and I'll chip away at that a little too.

I guess I'm focussing a little less atm on learning a song, and more on having consistent practice, building speed with chord changes and consistency of rhythum, as well as getting more familiarity/muscle memory for finger picking. This doesnt need any 1 song and the variety and sense of progress helps keep my interest up.