View post (Memorize the Fretboard)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/26/2020 3:17 am

Personal opinion only. I haven't looked at that particular book, but the internet is littered with gimmicky "easy way to learn the fretboard fast" ads. As a total beginner you don't need to learn much of the fretboard yet. If you learn the fretboard in 24 hours I think you will have forgotten it 48 hours later because you won't be using that information at this point. You will be starting out learning to put your first finger on the first fret of string 3, your second finger on second fret of string 5, and your ring finger on the second fret of string 4, and that's how you form E major. For melodies you will start the same way.

As you go along you should start to learn what the notes are on the fretboard but once you have learned the names of the strings and just the basic order of the 12 musical notes that are the foundation of western music you have enough knowledge to diagram the entire fretboard yourself.

As an early beginner, your time is probably better spent learning to form and play the chords instead of learning the names of the notes on the fretboard that make up the chords. As you progress through Guitar Fundamentals 1, Lisa will ease a little bit of music theory in along the way when it becomes useful for your level.

Now, having said that, if you want to learn the fretboard there is a fretboard trainer on Guitar Tricks. Go to the home page and click on Toolbox and you will see it there.

[br]All of that really is just my opinion and I don't mean to say a beginner shouldn't learn the fretboard, just that it is probably not very useful at first.[br][br]

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.