View post (What can modeling amps model?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/16/2020 12:57 pm

Stephen,

I hear you. I started guitar about 35 years ago, had some equipment (a Carvin electric and I think it was a Peavey tube amp). I don't even remember what happened to that stuff but I think, like a lot of people here, there were a lot of other happening in my life and it just sort of fell by the wayside. It's amazing how the technology has changed since then. I mean, some things remain the same but modeling amps, software emulations (like AmpliTube). So many options now and, as you say, so affordable. Imagine how much it would have cost to have all the options at your fingertips that you now have with your $200 Spider. Anyway, glad you're happy with your setup. I'm really eager to get an amp but am trying to pace myself with the hardware (1 learning module, learn 10 songs, buy a piece of equipment, go to next module, repeat) and it's hard to shop right now anyway with the stores closed, and this is definitely the kind of purchase I'd like to check out in person, if for no other reason that to figure out how much volume/wattage I need, or don't need (I'm pretty much a "bedroom" player in a small house (and due to Corona, my wife is now working from home). I like that a couple of the amps I'm looking at, like the Katana, allow you to switch between different wattages (for the Katana I think it's between 50, 5 and 0.5W).

Dave