View post (Do clean amp tones come in different flavors?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/11/2020 6:00 pm

I'm considering different first amps (for use with my solid body electric). For me, a small amp, maybe a modeling amp would seem like an obvious candidate as I don't need much volume at all, never plan to gig, etc. I love, in principle, all the tonal options that these amps have, but I don't gravitate towards heavy distortion, fuzz effects, etc. Pretty much all of the modeling amps I see have 1 clean setting and then a slew of heavy tones (lead, crunch, brown...each with knobs that seem to further vary those tones). Is clean just clean and that's why there are not small modeling amps that have different tonal options for clean sounds, or is it just that there's not a market for that sort of thing? Obviously, playing with the tone controls can vary the sound of clean OR dirty but I wonder if there's more than thatwhen it comes to clean sounds.

The Fender GT Mustang line has different amp models (rather than sounds), all of which can be used clean, so maybe that is along the lines of what I'm looking for, but I don't really know (it's not like I really know know the difference between a Fender Bassman vs Tweed Deluxe or any of the other models). Is it more than just what can be accomplished by playing with the tone controls?