View post (Phrasing.)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
03/13/2020 12:56 am

Poundhound. On the second Crossroads link. Critique and a tip. Learn to use a timed link.

Why? [u]I never stayed to listen to what you actually wanted me to hear.[/u] The pathetically acted puerile ego play for the first half of that unnecessarily bloated clip from a flim you obviously admire I would never give the time of day to even to watch the trailer had me wanting to chew my arm off and club myself to death with it. I left before, unable to endure any more, I did so.

Contrary to Christopher's opinion, I don't think that was a good example if persuasion to your point of view was your objective. Hero status worship isn't helpful either, regardless that I readily acknowledge Steve Vai's expertise and enjoy listening to his interviews, point of view and admire [u]the man[/u].

IMV this would have been a more effective to the point persuasive comparative clip without all the superfluous theatre and unnessesary shield of an uncriticisable sacred cow name association, both of which quite frankly are major negatives for any non-herd mentality type. Distasteful unnecessary theatrical affectation is a utter turn of for me. Obviously I've never been nor could be a KISS, Gun's 'n Roses, AC/DC cult theatre fan, even if I don't mind one or two of the latter's tunes. Even where there is a runs on the board commanded high level of earned respect, I see the 'heroes of the piece' warts 'n all regardless.

[br]Different piece by Paganini, nevertheless this affirms Christopher's point about timbre. I much prefer this.

In any case, you reinforce the point of view raised by both JeffS65 and me. An endless ego serving technical shredding display without musicality is as pointless to all but an esoteric audience as it is tastelessly unenjoyable to our, well mine at least, ears. The first link you provided along with the second of the same piece played on guitar substituted by me are the acknowledged antithesis of that.

Shoot me a link to Wagner's Trauermarsch from Götterdämmerung or the Overture from Rienzi transcribed for guitar played by Steve Vai and I may be persuaded to even be a fan of the style/genre.