View post (Time to finally learn)

View thread

erahn1949
erahn1949
02/17/2020 9:18 pm

I'm a 70-year-old newbie and I've been at it for about a month. I've always wanted to play guitar bur 'life' seemed to get in the way. Well, I finally have the time (at least more than I use to have). I've been looking at the guitar my kids bought me: a Yamaha F-335 (supposedly a starter) over 2 years ago and decided I needed to get serious. For the last month, I've hit it every day. I've fought through sore fingers and struggle with chord changes. I've accepted that it's not going to happen overnight but I'd like to think the progress would come a little fast than it has. My goal is to play simple songs that maybe someone would like to listen to and possibly sing along. One thing I'm wondering about is the guitar. Is the one I'm using really right for me? How do I know? Based on what I've read in the forum it would seem that the guitar action is very high and I'm too new to know right from wrong. Any thoughts / ideas / opinions? I'm not against getting another guitar if it will make a discernible difference.