Favourite guitarist

Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
07/02/2020 10:38 am

Rory Gallagher for raw, Hendrix for special, Shawn lane for wtf, knopfler for sweeping tone, Roy Buchanan for class, Pete Townsend for the strongest ankles and best windmills, Stevie Ray for best nostrils and heaviest hands and Neil young for just getting on with it. Hey..... none of these guys got songs here..bugger.

# 1
ScottB1074
ScottB1074
07/03/2020 4:56 pm

For old school, Jimmy Page. So perfectly loose and what appears to be effortless.

But my personal favorite is Trey Anastasio. Prolific, creative, and so many other things. What he plays while singing is mind boggling to me. If you haven't checked out Phish, you are really missing out.

# 2
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
07/04/2020 11:34 am

For sheer raw artistry, you can't beat Hendrix. I think sometimes the ubiquity of his work has perhaps blunted his impact, but if you dig out Machine Gun, on his Band of Gypsys album, it's phenomenal stuff.

But I could happily listen to Jimmy Page solo all day, J Mascis from DInosaur Jr too, a brilliant, emotional guitarst. And of course The Chili Peppers' John Frusciante, some of his stuff is off the chart, though I think the band's image gets in the way of his ability.

I'll add to this list Blur's Graham Coxon. Not a guitarist in the classic-mould, but incredibly creative person who can coax some amazing noises out of his Tele Deluxe. I was watching Blur's 2008 Glastonbury gig on iPlayer last night and there are moments where he was using both feet at once to activate pedals while still soloing

# 3
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
07/04/2020 7:50 pm

Totally agree..hendrix is incredible. Machine gun is epic. Some really good footage on some old docos I got when I was a kid. He does a version of like a rolling stone on live at winterland that is outstanding too.

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
07/04/2020 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambers

Totally agree..hendrix is incredible. Machine gun is epic. Some really good footage on some old docos I got when I was a kid. He does a version of like a rolling stone on live at winterland that is outstanding too.

Wow, I just went to YouTube and watched (well, listened - no video) to Machine Gun from the Fillmore East, with Buddy Miles on drums. I am sure I have heard it before, but I don't remember it. Instantly jumps way high on the list of most amazing performances. I confess that I am a little bit jaded with Jimi and SRV just because I have heard them so much. I feel like I hit a saturation point somewhere along the line. But this. Wow! How can I not remember ever hearing this? If I really haven't heard it, how the heck did that happen?[br][br]

So, wow!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
bobf46
bobf46
07/05/2020 6:43 pm

David Gilmour #1

Peter Frampton

Mark Knopfler

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.