View post (Beginner Question about Finger Picking)

View thread

Dad-Of-Three
Dad-Of-Three
10/16/2019 2:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm a beginner, about 6 months in. I've been doing well and started off learning with a traditional pick. But after reviewing some instructional videos on finger picking, I decided to transition to a thumb pick, and now that feels pretty good. My long-term goals are to learn finger picking as I really like the sound.

Here's my question.

Since I'd like to learn finger picking someday, should I start with some of the basic finger picking techniques to build muscle memory in my right hand? I was thinking of continuing my lessons, (through various resources including Guitar Tricks) but instead of finding the strings with a pick, I'd use the finger picking ideas to assign a finger to each string.

I tried a bit over the last few days and basic beginner songs that I could play well, are much harder because I’m not used to assigning each finger to a string. But, I’m ok with pushing through and practicing, but I’m just wondering if going down this road will hurt my progress, or if this is a decent idea.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[br] [br] I hope my question makes sense; I had a hard time putting my thoughts into words on this one.

[br] Rick