View post (Guitar sounds like crap doing DI to computer)

View thread

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
10/12/2019 7:49 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

Guitar (Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/EMG active pickups) >>> Amp modeller/processor (Line 6 Pod XT) >>> Audio interface (Behringer UMC404 HD)[/quote][p]What computer? And what path in, USB, RCA, XLR?

[quote=scottrpileggi]

As far as diagnostics go, I find that if I play the Line 6 Pod with the headphone output, it sounds significantly better. I also found that if I take the Pod out of the equation and plug the guitar directly into the audio interface, it sounds bad then as well. Unfortunately, I don't have another guitar to test the chain out. It's also worth noting that the guitar sounds fine when plugged into my fender amp.

This makes me think that it's either the guitar or the audio interface causing the problem. But what do you guys think? Would like to come up with a resolution so I can spend less time trying to get a decent sound and more time practicing.

[p]Sorry for your frustration! It sounds to me like an input problem. Like your line level in is too hot. I would try to adjust the computer volume mixer settings. On a Windows computer, right-click the speaker on the task bar. & select volume mixer. Look at the input levels while you play the guitar.

You might have to go in the control panel & click on the Sound settings. There you should see the slider levels & the audio device if you are using USB input.

You might also try turning down the output level of the POD, since the headphone out sounds better. Active pickups are much hotter than passive, so that might be why you need to really turn down the input levels.

One final thought is that I've heard a dying battery on active pickups can cause havok with small voltage electronic. So it might worth trying to change the battery. But ultimately an A/B test with a passive pickup guitar would be best. Maybe you could ask a friend with a guitar?

Hope that helps! Best of success sorting it out!

Thanks for writing!

The audio interface connects via USB to my late 2011 Macbook pro. FInally the output ends up from my interface via quarter-inch cables to my two studio monitors. The monitors are good size, barely used, and definitely not blown out. Music or anything else sounds great played through them.