View post (For the easily discouraged...)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/04/2019 11:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Keith Altazin

I'm not sorry for not learning guitar years ago, that's just wasted energy and feeling sorry won't change the fact.

[p]

Thank you Keith. I'm pleased there was something in it for you.

[br]The part of your post I have quoted above closely echos my own pragmatic perspective, with the following amendment as applicable to my own case.

Given 20:20 hindsight, [u]I do[/u] regret not having [u]additionally[/u] continued pursuit of guitar, but don't dwell upon that which might have been which can't be altered, concurring with you it a misdirection and waste of remaining energy [u]now[/u].

Of course, wisdom knows that had I done so, other life adventures I've been privileged to enjoy would have had to have been been sacrificed in lieu. "One can do most anything one wants to, just not everything one wants to", although I'll keep trying my utmost to prove that idiom erroneous!

At the time [u]I chose[/u] to engage in other ' take no prisoners' career pursuits triaged a higher priority which would brook no diversion of attention from focus upon the primary objective if one wanted to not be culled from the crop with its tough 65% scrub rate. Tempus fugit as you'll recognise all too well, and here we are. Being late to the party though isn't going to inhibit my enjoying to the fullest what remains of it, even though I'm realistic about my 'remaining fuel available' and its probable furtherest destination achievable envelope potentially reachable within that endurance/range envelope.

I'm grateful I have the opportunity now. TBH offered with humility, I constantly surprise myself, gobsmacked at my unexpected rate of progress so far. Even the seemingly initially difficult seems to transform itself to 'that wasn't so hard' quite quickly because I truly enjoy every aspect of playing and learning the guitar and exploring music. Admittedly, it has replaced other mentally stimulating dynamic activities challenged by encroaching years surrendered to common sense such as riding motorcycles, gliding and all the effort it involves and mountain biking in acknowledgement that the consequences of slower reflexes or reduced sitational awareness with guitar might be as 'severe' as breaking a string, snapping the tip off a celluoid pick or breaking a fingernail. OTOH, bones don't heal so easily at our age, and having enjoyed a better than fair innings with more than my share of Lady Luck travelling with me, not pushing her and declaring my innings now however reluctantly seems the sage thing.

In closing that page, starting out 100% committed to not surrendering within a two years attempt and review with just the purchase of a single guitar, I've been unable to help myself from becoming totally immersed in learning and playing the instrument, inarguably to a point of obsessive which has yet to encounter an enthusiasim reduction plateau. Again acknowledging, [u]luckily[/u], but[u] most importantly. [/u]I have my (best friend of 44 years) beautiful wife's support and encouragement 100%.

[br]Wishing you all the best on your own journey.

[br]manX