View post (no help or interaction)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/04/2019 1:40 pm
Originally Posted by: treatedbadly

A lot of the easy songs use techniques not covered in the tutorials.[/quote][p]I'm not sure what songs or tutorials you are referring to. GT has 5 general levels of difficulty.

1 - absolute beginner

2 - beginner

3 - easy

4 - intermediate

5 - advanced

The difference between these level is covered in depth here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/Difficulty-Ratings-Explained

In general, GF 1 is level 1 & 2. Near the end of GF 2 & into the style courses the difficulty rises to 3. By the end of Style courses 2 you are getting into level 4 difficulty. So, after successfully completing the skills & ideas in GF 1 you should be able to tackle most 1 & 2 level songs.

In fact if you go to the landing page for GF 1 you will see a list of suggested songs of level 1 & 2.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals1

That's not to say every student will automatically know every skill & idea & therefore be ready for every song! You might have to work on some specialized chord or strum or idea in some song. The difficulty ratings are after all a general guide. And every guitar student learns at a different rate, has different strengths & weaknesses.

If you, or any GT student, has trouble with anything, that's what the forum is for! And I would be willing to bet the skill or idea in question is covered in some tutorial somewhere on GT if not in the courses!

Originally Posted by: treatedbadly

Also I think it would be better to incorporate the music genres into the beginner music paths.

[p]Our teaching approach is that an absolute beginner has more than enough to learn & do just manipulating the guitar than to start focusing on genres. In other words, a C major chord is a C major chord regardless of style. Likewise for scales & reading music. GF 1 & 2 are about building skills from zero. And you have to be able to know & play a basic C major chord confidently & consistently before you can play it using genre specific techniques.

So, including genre specific techniques is beyond the intended scope of GF 1 & 2.

Having said that, there are suggested songs from several genres in that listing I mentioned. Those have to be in their own Songs category because they were publisher rights secured material.

I think Lisa did a great job of creating original songs intended to incorporate the skills & ideas taught at the right time in the right place in the courses.

[quote=treatedbadly]

At this point I can't bring myself to go through part two of fundamentals as I know it's gonna be a massive slog.

If you already have the skills taught in GF 2 then go forward to your chosen Style course!

Another option is to try my older GF 2 & see if it better suits your learning preference.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory