View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/17/2020 6:21 pm
Originally Posted by: robroske

Hi I've been practicing in beginner corse for 2or3 weeks but having trouble hitting the right strings. Is there a trick, hand position, or something I could be doing wrong?

No trick just continued practice and taking it slow. Best to be accurate and slow then fast and inaccurate. I find that practicing the "spider" walk up the strings slowly each day helpful. I continue to start out my practice time this way and speed up the pace as far as my warm-up.

Similar to when I was learning the basic chords. I would just go slow and make sure I was hitting the correct string and making it clear on each string. It is not thrilling, but the payoff has been incredible. I've been playing over 2 years now and I still approach new skills in this manner.

Lastly, I always end my practice by playing something fun/positive. Example: when I mastered the E chord, I would end practice strumming it in different rhythms. As I learned to change chords smoothly, I would end my practice switching between the chords. It felt good to end practice on a skill I was decent at. I still do this as well. It is a psychological trick but effective in learning.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute