View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

JohnGC
JohnGC
09/10/2020 11:56 pm

HI guys, thought I would put a catch up post to encourage youngsters of the ages of 50/60/70. Last year I joined GT at the age of 77 years and along with my new Fender Squire 60s Classic Vibe Strat started to learn to play guitar. The first few months had me wondering if this was going to work but I am the sort that hates to be beat. I put in many hours of regular practice and was encouraged by my grandson who has a batcherlor of music degree. Whenever I felt I was not making progress, he would listen and tell me that it was normal to feel that way as you do not notice your own progress but you will eventualy feel that you have suddenly made a break through. After 9 months with GT I decided to go to a private teacher. I was given a song to learn and found that I practised that week in and week out until it was not perfect but acceptable to the teacher, and then start on another one. This became a chore. I was also traveling an hour each week to lessons. Covid 19 and the cost of the lessons helped me decide to give that away. I am now back with GT at the age of 78 and loving it. Other than normal practice I have taken the trouble to learn all the patterns of the pentatonic minor scales and it is enjoyable to improvise with a backing track, great when I need a break from normal practice. I hope this encourages anybody that feels they are at an age that is too late to start learning.I am now tackling the Shadows Music ( Hank Marvin ) ie The Young Ones, Apache & Sleepwalk. All good fun but I have also taken a liking to Blues music with the beautiful tones. Keep at it folks it keeps you young at heart. I might start a band later on with older musicians called the "Urinaters" taking a break after each song, ( only joking ) Good Luck. John GC