View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
05/31/2020 1:22 am

Just turned 46 and decided to return to the guitar. I'd picked up at high school, had a couple of pretty awful tutors who were either unreliable or just too concerned with theory to keep me interested. I decided to pick it up again a while back, watched lots of YouTube clips about playing, amps, guitars and pedals, but couldn't work out how to do it in a way that would work with my weird working schedule - irregular, long hours in short bursts - which is when I discovered Guitar Tricks. This sort of set-up suits me perfectly: I can do them whenever it suits, I can go back and forth on lessons without testing the patience of the tutor and I don't have to 'get on' with them (that's a big thing, I've discovered).

At the moment I'm in the very early lessons as I decided to go back to basics so I can learn good habits, and I'm playing my crocked old guitar, it goes out of tune if I look at it the wrong way. Once I've toughened up my hands a bit I'll invest in something a little more serviceable and then drag my old Squier Strat out of the wardrobe at my parents' house and look to get myself an modelling amp or suchlike.

So far, it's been fun just doing it for myself rather than worrying about performing for others and it's great to pick up a new skill and diversion from work and whatnot.