View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
08/29/2019 9:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Simon Keyes
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

sgautier8th,

I've been playing for 6 mos. and I can play chords, I have learned the 12-bar form for Blues. I know the major and minor scales, some of the pentatonic scales (but not really sure what to do with all those scales). I know how to strum about 15 songs, though I can probably only play 3 "perfectly" (maybe not perfect perfect) without making any mistakes or losing the rhythm.

Hey sgautier8th; Have you learned all that in 6 months ??? !!! ???

Thats amazing ; I'm just finishing GF1 and a few songs after 4 months and thought I was progressing reasonably :)

YES - and if your done with GF1 after 4 months, you are on the same pace that I was on. IF you can strum G, C, D, E, A and a few Barre Chords (F, F#, Bm) there are probably thousands of songs that you can strum right now, you just have to find the tabs on the internet. I've used Ultimate Guitar Tabs, great site and also found a few songs on YouTube. I say about 15 songs, which is correct. It takes a while to learn and remember that many.

I did GF2, which should go a little quicker at first than GF1, but then slows down and gets "dense" with stuff to learn and practice. Don't get frustrated at the 7-chords or Barre Chords, you'll get through it, just practice and slow the videos down if it helps.

I JUST finished Blues1 and moving into Blues2. Started doing Rock1 and Country1, but it was too much. I'm goiing to finish Blues2 before doing Country and then Country and then Rock (the way that American music progressed chronologically in life).

I can strum, not always the best at rhythm. I can do scales. I find it difficult to strum a song and mix in some "lead" riffs, even a few notes, and then get back in rhythm, but I assume that this skill will come in time with practice.

Also, see if you can find some of Chris Schlegel's music theory lessons. I watched a few and they are phenomenal - no guitar, just learning how notes and chords relate to each other and how MUSIC works - mindblowing!